Best books and therapy for adult with Aspergers?

Can anyone give me good books, therapy techniques, etc., for adults with Aspergers?

Most things I have seen have been strictly for children, but I'm not sure if those are as useful.

Anything would be helpful, Thanks!

Mom2Rylin

Asked by Mom2Rylin at 2:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Health

• bump
    Mom2Rylin

Comment by Mom2Rylin (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• DD has Aspergers and she's 14. Most of her issues revolve around her lack of social skills. What the best therapy really depends on the area(s) of weakness. A book that was recommended to me to help with social skills is What Does Everybody Else Know That I Don't?: Social Skills Help for Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder by Michele Novotni PhD

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Thank you for that info! The weakness's with this person is lack of social skills, never has had a girlfriend (he is 28), likes living with his sister his whole life(but he pays bills), lets people push him around, VERY naive, VERY mentally immature, has become OBSESSED with a me(I dont want to be with him in that way) ever since I gave him the time of day and was nice, addicted to video games and stays in his room rather than be social, has to be pushed to accomplish something.

But to be honest he is a very dedicated and great worker who can maintain a job for years. He stayed a cook for 10 yrs once, but never got promoted or tried too. Its almost like he SAYS he wants to advance in things and have goals in life, but he never pushes himself. He has become sort of obsessed with a woman who befriended him(me).....he remembers strange things that are only about me, but has trouble remembering things on a daily basis.
    Mom2Rylin

Comment by Mom2Rylin (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• He also lies alot because he feels like he constantly needs to impress me. It has gotten very bad. I have helped him go for his goals and helped push him to get his GED, but I think its time he tries to get therapy. I cannot manage his life for him and I want him to learn to do it on his own. He takes anything someone says to him so literal. He constantly copies what others do, I now likes everything I like(it can get a little weird). He has alot of the issues that come with Aspergers, but the one strong thing he has is holding a job. He needs work on everything else. He once told a girl online that he loved her but he had never seen a picture or heard her voice the whole two years! Now he says she was probably a guy pretending to be a girl, and he doesnt know why he carried on a relationship like that. I am trying to help and be patient with him. But alot of the time he acts strange. He says he doesnt think anything is wrong.
    Mom2Rylin

Comment by Mom2Rylin (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2011