What are some questions that your children have asked you that you've had a difficult time answering?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Why does my dad lie all the time? I got that one alot when the older kids were growing up and their dad didnt show for visits or promised things and never sent them.

Answer by gemgem at 2:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• There are so many and I am drawing a blank right now! My 3 year old is in the WHY phase and I do not always have an answer for all his why questions. When I say I don't know he gets so frustrated with me and says TELL ME MOMMY WHY?!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 2:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• none, I answer my kids truthfully, even iff the truth might hurt, or if other people might not think they are teady to hear it. If I dont know the answer, I tell them I dont know
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• How old were you when you kiss, sex, or how you know whether you gay...drugs or lie to parents...etc. It is not easy telling these things to a six years.
    my3daugthers

Answer by my3daugthers at 3:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Will you die soon? I say no but feel guilty because if I was in a car accident or some other tragic event occured....there are no guarantees. While I agree truth is important, so is mental health. And I will not give the truth to a four year old which very may well cause him to have I creased fear and anxiety for many years to come. So I took it in small steps and say (he is very worried about death and dying) that I plan to be here a very very long time and watch him and his chdren grow up. I do acknowledge all things born will one day die. Right now it is an issue that is pretty big for him. But I have a hard time with balancing fact with what is best to meet his mental and emotional health with that question.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• DD has Aspergers and wants everything to be fair, so the difficult question is why aren't you being fair and treating everyone the same? The answer is that life isn't fair and your brothers are 8 years younger than you. I also need to be age appropriate.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 3:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• my kids havnt askd me how old I was when I did anything, but they are 5 and know how babies are made and born, why and how women have periods, why people are gay, drugs are bad, that it is never acceptable to lie to parents and so on
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 3:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• they also know about death, in our religion we believe we are eternal spirit souls and death is merely changing bodies, my kids have known this since they were very small and do not fear death
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 3:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• "what is an abortion"

When my elementary school aged son asked... I answered. He started crying and said "it is an accident right, those moms dont kill their babies on purpose do they?" It broke my heart to tell him that they did choose to kill their babies.

Over the years I had to tell all 3 of my kids what an abortion was and all 3 of them were floored.... it was heart wrenching.
    Anonymous

• During bath, my son has asked "What are these little hard things" (referring to his testicles) and followed up the more challenging question of "What are they for?" But really, not anything that tough so far.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 7:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2011