How strict are you with your baby's schedule?

My son is 6 months old and I try to follow when he's hungry and tired which is pretty much around the same times every day. But when something gets thrown off for instance his nap time the rest of the day is just frustrating and the week is just exhausting. He's just cranky all day. I mean is it supposed to be this hard to get him back in his groove? I go through this every single week because Sunday is grandpa time. My son goes to visit roughly for an 1 1/2 but they never put him down for a nap if he's tired. They wait til they're ready to let him take a nap. I've stressed it more than enough times. The reaction is well whatever the schedule is I'm sure he'll be fine. I've asked myself if I'm exaggerating this schedule thing and I don't think I am. I've decided what I'm going to do but I'm curious if anyone else has this problem with if you miss a nap or keep your baby up longer when you know he's tired do you have a hell of a time too?

Naplesmommy03

Asked by Naplesmommy03 at 3:12 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• as long as bedtime is around 8-9 and there is a nap every day... the rest is day to day whatever.

as far as feeding - we were "on demand"
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I'm a first time mom, and baby and I are learning together. We feed on demand and put him to bed when we go to bed. We've tried to "bottle, bathe, bed" with him, but he gets wired at his bath instead of winding down...so baths aren't on schedule either.

I figure that the baby (he's 9 weeks) will let us know what he needs, and it's my job to figure it out...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 4:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• i was pretty strict with my kids schedule but there are days when things happen that you can't control
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 3:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• We never had a schedule for babies. Each kid kinda created their own schedule and we followed it. Now if there was an issue with the schedule we addressed it, meaning if a baby was a night owl, we tried to get them into a different routine to gently change it until it fit with the whole family. But we didn't have strict schedules for anything.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• first one i was very lax i was home most of the time not sure what this LO will bring , will will see soon
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I wasn't strict at all.. Formula or breastfed it was all on demand.. Naps came when they were tired.. We did keep to the bedtime routine that worked best for them..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• We could never get on one. I tried a few time to get DS on one, and he refused at any age. The only thing that's scheduled is bedtime.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My first son made his own schedule, but I swear the kid could tell time at 3 months old because it was 5 minutes every day. My second son is a more go with the flow baby. He gets cranky around 12-12:30 so he gets a nap then wherever we are.
    I'd suggest moving around what time he sees grandpa. If they aren't willing to follow the schedule, then bring him over earlier or later. I had to schedule things around my older son's schedule and people thought I was crazy, but they didn't understand how it affected him, and if they really cared and wanted to see him then they would respect it.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2011