Dr. Mom question regarding a 5 year old

My 5 year old DS had hernia surgery on Monday so he has been an the antibiotic Keflex since Sunday night,and will be on it until Sunday morning. We were given Tylenol with codine for pain managment and were told to altenate it with ibuprofen if he's that uncomfortable. Well, he hasn't complained about the surgery site, pain, or asked for meds of any kind until today...but not for his hernia, for sore throat. I spoke to his dr and she said since he already has an antibiotic and pain meds there was no sense bringing him in but I don't know what else to do for him. Neither one of my kids have ever had strep or even so much as complained of a sore throat. Any suggestions??

daina82

Asked by daina82 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Kids' Health

• exactly what the dr. said, it could be where they put him out, they usually run the tube down the throat and prop the airway a bit.

if it is strep or something, he has all he needs... give him plenty of fluids and rest. :)

Im not a dr. though, just a mom of 4 who has some that have been through surgeries. :)
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I'm in agreement with 2teens2LOs
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 3:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Poor baby.

With the blooming of the flowers, alot of people have seasonal allergies kicking up. It can cause post-nasal drip which irrittates the throat.

Do you guys have allergies in the family?

In any event, popsicles, ice cream, and jello are soothing to the owie throat.

I hope he feels better soon.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Or a virus- most viruses cause sore throats when they pick them up. Then comes runny nose and cough.

Plus side to having a cold right now is that he can't get a secondary bacterial infection in the ears or sinuses. And truly, a doctor can do nothing for a virus, unless it's the flu or something.

Fluids, rest... you're already doing it all. Good luck!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Was your son intubated? That could be the cause of the sore throat.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2011