How can I ground my 5 year-old without grounding the entire family? adult content

She just turned 5 and is currently serving her time in her room because I don't know what to do that won't punish our 2 year-old as well.

The crime: She wet herself because "She was sad she didn't get grapes" ~ in her own words

taking away TV means grounding all of us from the TV because she will be sneaking out to watch.. same goes for most activities.

I know it is an attention thing and trust me, she gets plenty of attention from this stay at home mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if she's anything like I was, even putting her in her room isn't going to be much of a punishment.
    my mother could take all the toys away, and I'd still find ways to amuse myself. I'd make up a play, tell myself a story, you name it. There were times I would do something wrong just to be sent to my room to get away from my mom when she was in a bad mood.

it will probably work out fine ;)
    Anonymous

• Could you give her an earlier bedtime? I add minutes onto early bedtime for my 6 year old and it kills him. The number of minutes depends on the crime. It kills him to have to go to bed 5 minutes earlier than his brother.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I don't give a consequence if I can't implement it. You might want to have her clean herself up the next time that happens. If she can't stay dry, maybe you should have her wear a diaper. Size 7 Pampers should fit a bigger 5-year-old. I'm a believer in natural consequences.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• No Diapers! How awful! I do however believe in immediate and natural consequences. If she wet herself and made a mess, have her put her own clothes in the laundry (or washer), take a bath, and give her a mop to clean up the mess. The more attention you give to that kind of behavior, the more often you'll see it.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 3:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• we put our 2 year-old to bed half hour earlier than her sister (they share a room) so she will be asleep by the time big sissy goes to bed.. if we don't they stay up very late playing together
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I agree with Kimedbs.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 6:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• id have her do more chores around the house
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Make a chart for her specifically and then have her do time out-five minutes since she is five and if she does not wet herself for that day give her a sticker and then something at the end like time with mom or a toy etc.
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 9:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• When I hear that she wet herself when she didn't get her way tells me she wet herself before as an ACCIDENT and you punished her. A child should never be punished for wetting themselves because they can not help it and are in the learning process. Next time she wets herself if she doesn't get her way try reversing it and say "oh did you wet yourself, did you not go to the potty in time. That's okay, lets clean yourself up" but reiterate that she is not getting what she initially wanted. I bet you'll see a huge difference.
    YellowBaby

Answer by YellowBaby at 9:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Time out needs to take place somewhere away from the family. If she's 'sneaking' out, then time out starts over until she sits there for the entire time. Get a timer and everytime you have to walk her back to her time out spot you reset the timer for 5 minutes. Believe me she will do the time eventually and it will embed in her head for the next time. But you have to be consistent. We went through this too with each of our kids.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2011