What has peri-menopause been like for you?

I've not been told by a doctor that I'm experiencing peri-menopause, but I'm fairly certain this is my issue. My periods have gone from clock-work predictable (on no birth control needed for us b/c DH was snipped 3 yrs ago), to irregular with spotting here and there. My sex drive is through the roof for about 3 weeks out of the month. I'm also getting periodic pimples, which I rarely if ever used to get -- even during my teen years. I'm 38 yrs old and my mother had a hysterectomy, so she has no clue when she really started to "change". I'm kinda sad about all this -- I feel too young to have this happening already :(

So please, share with me your experience so I can determine if I'm "normal".

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Health

• I've had about the same thing. I had my first hot flash and 36, and I assure you, it was indeed a hot flash!
    I started acupuncture and it was the best decision I've ever made. I still have some problems from time to time but nothing like before. I just turned 40 and I'm more regular now than I've been in years.

I personally suggest Chinese medicine.

I can relate!
    PS as for being afraid of needles, I am. But the 'needles' they use are nothing like surgical needles or sewing needles. I urge you to set a appointment with a licensed practitioner and if nothing else have them answer your questions.

Good luck with it all!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• frustratedIt was (AND IS) FREAKING HELL. The only plus is no periods (I think I am one month shy a year now, woo hoo!). That doesn't mean I didn't have all the PMS shit because I did, just no flow to release it! Hot flashes bite the big one. The sex thing? Poo.......I could care less (and most days prefer not to) about sex. I am a mess. Good God, did I just vent? LOL I was about 37 I think when I started.

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 3:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• It started for me around 37 (4 yrs ago) ... periods show up whenever they decide (avg has been 4 months apart) BUT I still get the damn symptoms every month! Hot flashes ... Vitamin E at least 400 IU is wonderful for these. Acne like a teenager. Serious, sudden mood swings. *sigh* I can go from up and happy to pissed off in the blink of an eye.

Haven't really noticed a change in the sex drive though but I have been trying to keep mine under control so I don't make my hubby feel bad b/c he can't without a shitload of pain.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I rarely have hot flashes, but my period have become really, really heavy on day 2, shorter, and close together, and less predictable. I have much worse cramping than I did when I was younger. I basically use the bad pimple I get three days before my period as my indicator I should get out the pads and tampons, since the calendar isn't so useful anymore. My sex drive is definitely higher.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Well, yeah, good to know I'm not alone, but this sucks balls. No hot flashes for me, but I guess I was just not considering I'd really enter this "Phase" for a few more years.

Forgot to mention I also have hair growing in all the wrong places. Oh the joys of aging. Thanks again everyone.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2011