Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone petition the courts for custody of their child(ren) with out legal counsel?

i was just looking up information about this and my court site did not have the paper work until recently it has it. i am thinking about doing this but i am nervous not to get a lawyer. anyone have any experience with this?

Answer Question

Asked by lambdarose at 3:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 22 (14,088 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Yes but my case is probably different then your, I didn't go to court at all, and I was granted sole custody.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • please tell me about your case. so how were you granted sole custody? please any help would be appreciated. thanks.

    Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • I would be very nervous to attempt it on my own. It is way too high stakes for me.

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • well he has threaten to go to the court for visitations for 2yrs. never has. he lives in a different state. just am nervous that i have no custody. he has the same legal rights i do because nothing has ever been in writing. it just really makes me nervous. we were never married. he pays support wen he wants and hardly ever sees her. he has threatened me to go to court and he does not want to go to court but he wants me to just hand over my child on numrous occasions he has wanted me to do this with no legal paperwork. so this is why i was thinking about this.

    Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • I am going through a divorce right now with kids. We can agree on the house and vechiles but not the kids. I want to move from indy to nc. for family support but he wants to keep the kids in the same school and trade them once a week. ages are 9,7 and 6 and all girls. That is where I made the decision as a mom to stop letting him get away with things and get my own lawyer. I was told that the same lawyer could not work for the both of you if you both want two different things. He got one first and his would not even talk to me. So if you want something and can not agree with what the other wants then yes I would get your own lawyer to work for you. Email and I will write back if you ever need to talk about things.

    Answer by momindiana at 4:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.