Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I transfer music/movies from my iPod Touch to a computer?

Preferably without having to purchase software.

I've found a couple of tutorials that say the first step is to open the iPod folder in My Computer and set it to show hidden files, but it doesn't seem to change anything; the only files I'm able to access that way are my photos.

Any ideas?


Asked by DragonRiderMD at 3:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Technology

Level 22 (14,603 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Install iTunes, it's free. Register your iPod touch as a device in iTunes (when you connect it, it'll walk you through that. Sync the iPod with iTunes.

    Answer by SWasson at 3:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • I'm trying to get music from my iPod --> iTunes. The computer I was using to sync when I got the iPod has since died, and I want to get the music / videos from my iPod onto my new computer. Syncing will just erase everything. :(

    Comment by DragonRiderMD (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • You can't transfer music from iPod to computer. At least I've never found a way.

    Answer by dsadang at 10:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • I just found some free software last night. It transfers your media into a file on the computer, and then you can import it into iTunes.

    Apparently, the older iPods act as external data drives, and if you change the settings to show hidden files, you can just copy them onto your computer. But the Touch isn't like that--something to do with having its own operating system, or something. So you pretty much have to have software. There's a way to "jailbreak" it, but it's apparently really complicated, and it looks like it might erase everything on it in the process; it seems like it's something to be done when you first get the iPod so you can manage what's on it from any computer without having to go through iTunes.

    Comment by DragonRiderMD (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Jun. 15, 2011