What do you think is an appropriate age for teens to start dating?

Fiance's daughter is 14, will be going into 9th grade and just started dating a boy. Her mom is okay with with it, but df and I think she is too young. My business because she comes to my house.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• well, i think that is a good age for group dates but not one and one dates. and if the boy is the same age possibly. but i think one and one dates it has to be older teenager possibly 15 or 16. but group dates i see that is a good age. you might suggest their dates to be at your house and that way they can hand out and play boardgames or watch a movie you can be there in a different room. and give them snacks ect. its hard to say it depends on the kid.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 3:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I think 15 is a good age. I wasn't allowed to date till I was 15 and the boy who is now my Df had to come to my house and ask my dad for permission.
    styhmMommy

Answer by styhmMommy at 3:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Oh and at first we were only allowed to date in groups.
    styhmMommy

• I think group dates at that age are ok. I wouldn't want one on one dating until 16. Of course, I'm not there yet with my own. I'm just looking back at my own teen years for that opinion. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I think it all depends on the child. U can keep them from dating till 17 and it could back fire on u. Just always stay involved without coming across as the nosey annoying parent.
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I do not think young people should date until they are mature enough to select a marriage partner. That's what the process is supposed to be about. For most teens today, I don't think that would be any sooner than upon high school graduation. I think it is fine for children to entertain their friends at home under the watchful eyes of their parents and to learn how to look for strong character traits in the opposite sex and to learn how the selection process should work. To turn young people loose in today's culture to make the kinds of decisions with which they will be faced is to me just plain recklessness. There is too much pressure and when youngsters are mature enough to handle it, they are sure to get into more trouble than I would want to have to deal with. We pretty much used this philosophy with our own children, and it worked very, very well. There was less pressure then than now!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Unchaperoned, 16. With parents or another adult in close proximity, maybe 13 or 14.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 3:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• This is HER FATHERS choice to make.... not yours

but....depends on what you determine "dating" as.
    I see nothing wrong with 9th graders having boyfriends that they see at school and talk on the phone with.
    But they are too immature to go out one on one with a boy at that age.
    Anonymous