Worst baby ever?

We have a nearly 4 month old boy, who is gorgeous and healthy. The only thing is we have been non-stop miserable since having him. He was extremely late (ok), he had severe colic (we made it through), he eats every 2 hours- even at night, still (we deal with it- he's 17-ish lbs), but he is never really happy.. In turn we are never really happy, I don't really hear any other parents saying they dislike being parents and they always cherish their babies and think they're the greatest thing ever. Ours will not stop screaming his head off, if he's awake he's literally screaming or sucking on a bottle, and he wont ever sleep. He eats 7 1/2 ounces and an hour later starts exasperated screaming until he gets fed again. He accidentally tore my fiances cornea the other day by flailing his arms, I know it's not his fault, but it seems like nothing good has come out of this.... it's a real downer, we were so excited. Only one of us can work because we can't do anything when he's around, we can't wait until the weekend when her mom can babysit for a night of peace. He's a monster, we give him so much time and effort and it's still not enough for him. What happened?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you took him to the pediatrician? Maybe there is an underlining problem to his outburst and crying. Maybe by nature he is just a difficult new born. You'll get through it. Your a mother and that is a super humans job.

styhmMommy

Answer by styhmMommy at 3:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Could his belly be bothering him? Reflux maybe? He hurts so he cries and you keep feeding him. Maybe you should talk to the doctor. It's fine if he's taking 7 ounces. But that should last more than 1 hour.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• There could be a more serious problem. Have you talked to his doctor about this?

I have a friend who has admitted that she does not feel an emotional connection with her dd. Her dd is not quite a year yet. I don't know how to help you, but I do know that you are not alone in this.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My ds was a pretty unhappy baby and turns out he has adhd. There could be an issue or he could simply be an unhappy baby. I would talk to the doctor about it.GL
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 3:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I agree you should take him to the pediatrician. Sounds like he could be having some issues with gas or reflux. Have you tried gripe water or mylacon drops? Is he formula fed? Could be the formula too.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I'm sorry you're having a difficult time. I hope you get helpful answers soon.
    MasonsMommy1707

Answer by MasonsMommy1707 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My son was like that and it turns out he needed gentlease formula. Talk to the baby's doctor maybe try a different kind of formula.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• bump
    aleyjahsmom2010

Answer by aleyjahsmom2010 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I would say the gas/reflux thing too. If you are nursing it might be something that you are eating that is giving him a tummy ache. He might also be constipated and have too much iron. Like everyone else said, you should ask the dr about it, because there could be a million different reasons why he's doing that
    noahsmom13

Answer by noahsmom13 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• This doesn't sound to me like typical development. He should be evaluated by his doctor. He could have acid indigestion which is helped by constantly eating. If his doctor finds nothing wrong, have Early Intervention look at him.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2011