My 11 month old daughter got Gastroenteritis aka the stomach flu

She was in the hospital for two days hooked up to an iv, she was released but is very dehydrated, I've tried to give her pedialyte (different flavors and unflavored) but she won't drink it, I've tried soy milk, water, rice water, 7up mixed with pedialyte and she still won't drink it. She won't take it from a bottle, bowl, cup, spoon, nothing works, she really needs to drink fluids or else she will have to back to the hospital which I don't want. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to drink or anything yummy she might want to drink?? She is eating well and is on a "BRAT" diet per doctor's orders.....

iri24

Asked by iri24 at 1:47 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-26 Credits)
  • Have you tried the PediaPops? I know my daughter loves them! I also like to put the drinks in fun cups....once I used my breast pump cup...she loved drinking out of the mini cup. Good luck
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:51 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• If she is eating well and and enjoying the BRAT diet, thankfully applesauce is pretty watery so that should be pretty good. So definitely push some more applesauce.

Pedialyte is gross and milk would not be good for her now anyway. I would just try a juice or gatorade.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• my daughter had rotavirus virus i think they are the same thing or close.we almost lost our daughter she got so dehydrated and her sugar drop even thought she would drink a little hear and there.ice pops r good to try.if she is sleeping alot try to wake her every so often just for a second just to make sure u get a responds.i'm not trying to scary you but after all we were thought with this,I would not wish this on anyone.one min she was sitting there looking around playing a little 1 hour later she would not responding with these virus babys can go down really fast.but I think it may be a good idea to go to the er if she does not get hydrated and drink something.they my just gave her a iv and send both of u home.i hope she gets well soon.
    momangel05

Answer by momangel05 at 2:32 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• all i can say is stay away from dairy products they cause mucus. try the pedialyte pops or frozed pops. try tea with sugar, plain water? or sugar water. something sweet.
    i'm sorry your baby is sick, i hope she gets better soon! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 2:42 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Peds nurse here :)
    If she is eating.... jello, popsicles, fruit ice, chicken noodle soup, sneak in extra fluids to her applesauce (like a tablespoon), if shse is a milk lover and wants that... do half strength so if she drinks milk then in 4 oz add 2 oz water to 2 oz milk... if she takes formula 4 oz water to 1 scoop. The reason for no dairy is it causes big blow outs, so watch out if she takes milk!

If she is showing signs of dehydration: no wet diapers, no tears, dry mouth, lethargic you NEED to go in no matter how much you don't want to go back
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:46 AM on Dec. 11, 2008