Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This mom I know made a terrible mistake of saying that she wanted to die so ACS took her child from her and filed a petition to have the child put in foster care because of no relatives,the mother and the father had a fight in his apartment with the child present,could this mother who the child lives with lose her child?

Answer Question

Asked by mommys1luv913 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 2 (2 Credits)
Answers (20)
  • As a former social worker and CPS worker... really the state or county does not want her child. She should make sure she gets counseling, and mediation between her and the father. But she could be charged with child endangerment with fighting with another person in some states can be considered putting the child at risk. I would advise her to get counseling or at least inquire and present the court with her taking the initiative realizing there is a problem. CPS will come to her home to make visits and the guardian ad litem if one is appointed will do an in depth investigation. She has to convince the court that it is a one time bad moment in a mothers life, and that she has things in place to prevent these things from happening again. Good Luck!!!

    Answer by armymoms2 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • Odds are they know shes in some form of crisis or overwhelmed to make that kind of statement. Theyll make her do things in order to get the child back or keep her child. As long as she does she should not lose her child perm. They reserve that for parents who show zero signs of wanting to change and of severe abuse.

    Answer by gemgem at 4:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • Sorry, I don't know. Poor kid.

    Answer by ceciliam at 5:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • i would suggest she goes to counseling to prove shes gettin help

    Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 9:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • I dont know but there are some good answers here already!

    Answer by Madelaine at 9:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • She really needs to prove herself now. She made a mistake, she needs to prove that she isn't in danger of harming herself or her child.

    Answer by slw123 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • I'm not sure but I hope it all works out for this family!

    Answer by Charizma77 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • I would suggest counseling

    Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 2:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • I only wish DHS was this diligent in my state. I don't want her to lose her child, but here the mother would have to do a heck of a lot more than that! And she would have been offered counseling and any assistance she needed.

    Answer by elasmimi at 7:53 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • I agree with gemgem. I'm a social worker and the state wants only for a child to return to a healthier home. Counseling and really working on mental health, safety, and parenting are going to be key. Unless a parent is just totally not compliant or her situation deteriorates reason to assume her rights will be terminated. Protective services is there to protect the family.

    Answer by frogdawg at 9:52 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.