How would you react?

Let's say your kid (under the age of 10 or so) wakes up and wants to go to school as a puppy. How would you react? How would the school react? Do you think the school's reaction is proper?

Let's say your son (once again under the age of 10) wants to go to school dressed as a princess. How would you react? How would the school react? Do you think the school's reaction is proper?

Let's say your daughter (once again under the age of 10) wants to go to school dressed as an infantrymen from the Marines or some other traditionally male only role. How would you react? How would the school react? Do you think the school's reaction is proper?

And I am not trying to ask about gender identity or transgenderism. I am just asking out of curiousity. It was discussed at a school open house last night and wondered what others thought.

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 4:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I wouldn't allow my child to wear anything other than a normal outfit to school. School is a place to learn not play around and dress up things distract from what should really be going on. So it wouldn't matter how the school would react because my little one wouldn't make it to school dressed like a dog, princess or infantryman.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• School is for learning, not playing dress up. I would not allow my child to go to school in anything other than normal clothes. That said, I've had more kids than I can count show up to school in their PJs or in dress up clothes. Those are usually the days when daddy is taking them to school. LOL
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:12 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• It would not bother me at all. I want my kids to have their own personalities and to dress however they want to. The school would not say anything as long as they are not bothering or distracting other kids and staff members. My middle son wore a Christmas tree skirt as a poncho to school back in May.

My3Ez

Answer by My3Ez at 4:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I agree. No dressing up for school. But are you trying to ask about gender identity and the role that a parent and the school plays. IF so, I have no idea how I would react or how the school would react.
    styhmMommy

Answer by styhmMommy at 4:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Yeah, a full costume to school can be saved for halloween.

I'd be okay with normal clothes with elements of fantasy like those hoodies or wintery hats with ears for example.

My kids aren't old enough for school, so I don't know what future dress-code policies they'll be under.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 4:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• styhmMommy - actually I am not trying to address gender identity. Just wondering how others would react to these situations. Last night I just signed my oldest son up for a charter school that would let him show up as any of the roles I mentioned. I love it. It lets him express himself while learning. It is because the teachers do not let it be a distraction. I figured my opinion on the matter was rare and wanted a reality check.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I think there is a fine line here. I want my child to explore all the many different facets of their personality so I would try to compromise by letting my son where only dog ears or a tinker bell t-shirt to school or my daughter could have a short hair cut. I think that If I imposed firm rules stopping my child from exploring who they are would eventually back-fire in my face leading to disconnection within the relationship.
    SarahAndrews

Answer by SarahAndrews at 4:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My 3.5 yo wants to go to pre-school dressed up as all kinds of things, but I'm firm in telling her that those are play clothes, not school clothes. Not sure her school would really mind at that age, but it would be a big disruption in grade school.

If you are leading to the point about transgendered children, I would work with the school to determine how best to approach this before I sent my child to school dressed as something not suiting the traditional gender role.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• hard to know how the school would react.

I would allow the child to go in costume as long as they had on closed toed shoes, and clothing they could move in, and no hat.... all dress code rules.

If they get teased they wont go back to school dressed like that.

As for the dog... i would say sure... but you can not crawl or bark because those are school rules.

I have allowed my kids to go to school looking like total idiots... that is what they wanted. It is rare they dressed that way again because they got teased. It was a lesson learned.
    Anonymous

• I would say no to all three. I'd let him know that he's free to dress up however he'd like at home, but that school was for learning, not costumes( unless it was a special themed say at school). As for how the school would react, it wouldn't be an issue because I'd handle it at home first. I'm truly a pretty lenient and relaxed person, but I just think that there is proper attire for every situation, and a puppy costume for school is inappropriate.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2011