Is this rule really that bad?

Okay, I just set up this new rule and DF hates it. My kids take of their shoes and their socks. Without telling me. I can't ever find their shoes or socks and when I do its after a huge freakin search. I am fed up with this. So I told both my DD's that if they take off their shoes and socks then they have to put them away or give them to me. Well they didn't do either. So when they loose there shoes or socks then they can't have another pair. They then will have to wear sandals or flip flops. DF hates this, he thinks that I should just find them their shoes or put on a diff pair and a diff pair of socks every time they do this. I get annoyed cuz I have them wear shoes bc we are leaving. I don't want to go on a search before we leave each time.

styhmMommy

Asked by styhmMommy at 4:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• he isnt a husband, and unless he is their father he has no say in the matter.

I do think it is a bit over board... why not make a designated shoe drop RIGHT NEXT to the door. That is what we do and the shoes are ALWAYS in the same place.
    Anonymous

• He is the father. Thats the problem, they have a drawer in their closet and a place in their closet to put shoes that why are done wearing. I also will take there shoes and put them on the shelf if they are given to me. But they don't do either. I think it has to do with DF coming home and leaving his shoes everyone and that is where my girls learn.
    styhmMommy

Comment by styhmMommy (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I don't think it's overboard. I would tell him if he wants to go on a shoe hunt every time you leave the house, have at it. I have a place just inside the door that shoes go on as soon as we come inside. I got fed with having to find shoes every time we went out. It was ridiculous and a waste of time. Kids have to learn at some point how to take care of things.
    Anonymous

• I also put a shoe bin (a little pop-up thing) by the front door, since my daughter takes her shoes off pretty much as soon as she comes in. As for their father, let him find their shoes, then.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I wouldnt do it myself. As their mother I always figure it is my job to help keep up with their things, and you also dont mention their ages so it would be age dependent. If my kids were say under 6 I think I would make sure I knew where their things were. By 1st-2nd grade then maybe I would set up a rule like that. More likely then not I would have a shoe organizer (which I have in my house) and everyones shows go in it when they arent being worn. Makes like much easier.

Answer by gemgem at 4:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I have a shoe organizer inside the front door. While shoes are all over the place AROUND it, they're not all over the house. I firmly believe that there is a place for everything, and everything in its place. My kids are 4 and 7 and do pretty good about keeping track of their things. It's NOT my job to keep track if THEIR things, but I will help them figure out where they left it.

I think your rule is fair, and I also think that HE can go on a shoe hunt every time, then see what he thinks of your rule. I'm willing to bet he doesn't like it because he'd have to follow it too. And, he's thinking it'll be "too much work" to take his own shoes off and leave them in one specific place every time.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Why not try a basket near the front door?
    They come in drop their shoes ... all is good.

I bet it keeps your floors cleaner too.... they dont have to walk all the way through the house to their rooms with their dirty shoes all over the floors.
    Anonymous

• Tell him that he is more than welcome to go on the shoe hunt.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 5:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I would change it just a tad...

First I would not find toddler tantrumtheir shoes for them.. I

remember as a kid...I would say ...hey mom where are my shoes...and she would say I don't know I don't wear them..

I use that with my kids...

Second I would make the rule that when they entered the home, shoes and socks are to be taken off and put in the appropriate place..via laundry room...hamper....what ever...

That rule make take YEARS.....but it is a rule and needs to be obeyed..

They don't make the rules...the parents do...good luck

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 6:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2011