At what point do I put my 6 yr old in a backless booster seat

He is still in a booster with a back to it but he is 49 inches and 50lbs so is he big enough for a new backless booster?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 4:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes he weighs enough. The question then is he able to sit in a backless booster properly? Can he sit still? When he sits does the strap go into his neck or is it on his shoulder? Does the lap belt go across his lap and not his belly?
    It should be across his lap and on his shoulder and he needs to be able to sit like that the whole ride.
    mrspnut82

Answer by mrspnut82 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Well my 6 year old is 60 lbs, and in a backless.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• but is 50 lbs okay for a backless
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• my 4 year old sister is 36 lbs and in a backless, she has been for a while
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• It depends on your states laws regarding child safety restraints as well as your child restraints specifications. Do what works well for teh fit of your child and will keep them safest.
    chrys45

Answer by chrys45 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• We took the back off my son's booster when the shoulder strap fit properly across his chest. I think the back was also extended a tall as it could get. He's now 7.5, 4'3" and I don't know his weight, we don't have a scale in the house.

My daughter is 4, still has the back on hers and is 4 foot and 40ish pounds (guessing).
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I just recently had to move my 6 year old into the backless booster b/c he's real tall and his shoulders were hitting the top part of the regular booster seat and he kept complaining
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Guess it depends on your seat. My son will be 9 this month and is still in a high back booster (Graco Nautilus) at 65 pounds and 53 inches. My almost 6 year old is in a 5 point harness at 45 pounds and 45 inches.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I switched mine when she reached 40 pounds. She was tall enough so we switched. Check your state and local laws.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• BTW most booster are 40lbs+
    mrspnut82

Answer by mrspnut82 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2011