How much does it cost to maintain a house? plumbing, electricity & any other maintenance

I know most of your husbands handle this but i am finally buying my own house.. 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 2 garage, newly built but i am clueless on it all!! i am a single mom of 3 & need advice. there's NO man in my life whatsoever sooo.... lol. i haven't found the house yet, still looking.

mrsary

Asked by mrsary at 4:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Home & Garden

• It varies a lot depending on your area and the season. I live in Las Vegas Nevada in a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom single story house.
    Our electric goes from about $80 in the winter to about $250 in the summer, and NV Energy was just approved for a 24% rate hike. I am looking in to getting solar panels.
    Our gas bill is really reasonable. It's about $30 in the summer and around $80 for three months in the winter, or a little less.
    Water just went down because we ripped out our lawn and put in fake grass. It was over $100 and now it's down to around $35 a month.
    Garbage is $35 every three months.
    Sewer is $255 a year.
    Property taxes are around $2400 a year.
    HOA dues are $41 a month
    Insurance is around $500 a year.

(And my husband wouldn't have a clue how much any of these bills are or who we pay them to.)
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• too vague.

You need to tell us exactly what town and what state.

What I pay on the beach in so. cal... is going to be astronomical compared to someone in a small mid-west town..

Anonymous

• Newly built? Then you won't have any repair cost for the first few years, depending on how you keep the equipment serviced. At the 5 year mark of ownership, I would budget at least 5% of the annual mortgage toward maintenance.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Give us some idea where. We're in northern CA, and we are on the outskirts of a nice town, and right now, it's expensive, because our septic system backed up, and with some digging, it turns out tree roots have grown through the pipes, so they're replacing that as we speak. Not cheap! If you were to average everything over the year, I'd say to be prepared for a few hundred a month, to have the budget for when the big things happen. Most months it won't be that much, but bigger things do happen.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I think you always need to have some money set aside for unexpected expenses when you have a house. My dh is helpless when it comes to repairs around the house. I've never lived in a newly built house so I don't know what to expect with those, but generally there is usually something that needs to be changed or fixed around a house... leaking roof, old gate, termites (other pest control), etc...
    Utility expenses will depend on the city you live in and how big the house is too.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 4:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Well the good thing is you buying a new house, so major expenses shouldn't rear thier ugly head too soon, do you mean Utility payments and such, they should be able to give you what other houses in the area on average pay.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• It depends on the age of the house and how many people lived in it previously. It also depends on sewer or septic, well water or city water, gas appliances or all electric. Gas heat and water heater or all electric. There are way too many variables to give any kind of numbers on this. And plumbing, electric, etc. are NOT regular things. They are usually emergency items and that can vary depending on the issue.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• tasches, I agree. That's probably a good figure.
    There are also some costs associated with a new home. Landscaping, putting in window coverings, and all of that can get expensive, if they're not already done.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• well..... i live in Killeen-Fort Hood, Texas. lol. Everything is beyond inexpensive here.
    mrsary

Comment by mrsary (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2011