How old is old enough to let kids stay home alone?

browndiva38

Asked by browndiva38 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• 14?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Legally? Depends on the state. Call social services and ask every state has a different age set up. In NC technically we cant leave them home alone until they are teens, as in 16-17 yrs old. There is a law set up within a fire code that says you cant is why. So I would call and ask. They will let you know. Last thing you need is a neighbor calling cps on you.

Answer by gemgem at 4:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• For an hour? I would say 12 All day every day???? I would say never, if my child was 16 they would have a job, and I would let a 14 stay by themselves a day or 2 here or there, but on a scheduled daily basis, someone would be coming over, not because I don't trust my child, but "somehow" other kids know when a teen is left alone for long periods.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• it depends on how mature the child is and how long you leave them. I leave my 9 yr old home by himself no more the 30 mins.
    Wellygrrl

Answer by Wellygrrl at 4:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Legally, it depends on where you live...but in terms of practicality, I think it depends on the maturity of the child and how long they are going to be left alone for. 

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 4:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• it does depend on your state.. I can leave my 13 year old home for a short time but that's it..
    AJMcGuire

Answer by AJMcGuire at 8:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• depends on length of time and maturity of child. I leave my 11 year old home if i go to the gym, but he is not allowed to have any one over at that time. I also don"t allow him to go to kids houses when their parents arent home
    ideashare

Answer by ideashare at 11:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Depends on the maturity. My kids I trust now and they are 8, 9 and 10. The older 2 have each stayed home by themselves once or twice but usually it's all 3 of them together. A couple times they also had their 5yo sister with them (usually if we're going to be gone less than 30 minutes otherwise she comes with us). They are perfectly capable of handling themselves alone for an hour or two. I can't imagine not being able to trust them for at least an hour. I was 8 staying home for an hour or two while watching my 6yo brother and we were fine. We just watched TV. By 10 I was cooking on the stove and stuff.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• i don't think they are ready now until they are about 14-15
    othella

Answer by othella at 2:16 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I think, in texas it is 12.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 2:21 AM on Jun. 11, 2011