Budgeting

any tips on budgeting , i feel like when i try to budget something always comes up and i need something that wasnt planned on

jenn660

Asked by jenn660 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• I keep a set amount of cash in my wallet for incidentals. Anything not budgeted for comes out of the cash.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 4:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover" and the workbook are GREAT.

Check it out from the library or buy it used on Amazon when/if you decide you want to keep a copy (although it's worth full price).

Basically: Knowing where your money went is good, but you need to tell your money where to go; plan a budget that sticks to what you make; save a $1000 cash for emergencies - no more credit cards for those unexpected expenses. There's more, but that's the start.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 4:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Get you and your husband to agree on the budget with you. Then if you need to change it mid-month. If the expense coming up isn't an emergency, let it wait. If it's possible set aside a little bit of money every month for a miscellaneous fund.

Budgets need to be changed every month since every month is different. We have a 'skeleton budget' 'with the basics (rent, utilities, phone/internet, insurance etc.) and we copy and paste it over from one month to the month. Then we add the things in that we need to birthdays, swim lessons, extra fuel money things like that.

hope that helps.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I followed the Dave Ramsey plan. I listen to his talk radio show. If you go on his website there is a Baby Steps plan that helps you start the process. First you save $1000 like GoodyBrook said. And he says when you begin to pay off debt, pay the smallest off first and snowball to the biggest. As far as budgeting you have to write down everything you owe each month like rent/mortgage, daycare, groceries, gas, etc. Break it all down. I also took up on couponing which helps quite a bit.

If you know exactly how much you are spending you will shape up. It helped me. I payed of $12000 in credit card debt in two years on a very low income. Good luck to you!
    MeeshMom

Answer by MeeshMom at 1:20 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• i dont have any credit card debt, all i have is student loans, my car, and the basic household bills, and then the things that come up like clothes, shoes, sunscreen ect for my 2.5yr old and then preparing for the one on the way.. and then other things that come up ...
    jenn660

Comment by jenn660 (original poster) at 8:54 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• always pay yourself first. Your savings is a bill that MUST be paid. See if you can rework your student loans to a lower payment. Income based payment is an option. List all your bills, the monthly payments (don't forget to include groceries & gas), then list your income. I put mine on a monthly calender so I can see which bills have to be paid out of each check. This also helps me to plan ahead.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:21 AM on Jun. 12, 2011