How can I teach my 3yo to play quietly?

My 3yo has given up naps, but my 1yo still sleeps about 2-3 hours after lunch. I try to do a quiet time with my 3yo by putting on a movie and sitting on the couch with him, but he doesn't want to sit still too long and will go crash his trucks, jump around, make noise.  He sometimes wakes up the baby and then the baby is cranky the rest of the day. How can I teach my 3yo to play quietly? Thanks.

hill_star03

Asked by hill_star03 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put something that makes noise in the baby's room that muffles the sound--a fan, white noise machine, etc. It will at least help with a bit of the problem. And then, play with him to teach him how you want him to play when the baby is sleeping--sit at the table and color with him, make some playdough, let him help you make brownies, etc. If you can, take him outside to play in the yard while the baby naps (thats what monitors are for after all!!)...sitting and watching a movie, if its every day, gets sort of boring. Of course, the other thing you can consider is making his mornings so action packed that he still takes a nap with his sibling. We spend most of the morning at the park, the pool, the beach, outside running around, inside at a playplace if its raining, or at a playgroup, etc...my 4 yo still naps because she's so worn out!
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 5:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• GL, if you find out the answer please let me know
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 4:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• these posts always make me chuckle.

is there any way to have the baby nap somewhere where he/she can't hear the 3 year old who neither you or anyone else will likely be able to silence?
    Anonymous

• That's tough. Maybe that can be time that the two of you can sit and read together or color or do something like that. I think if he's playing independently, it will he tough to get him to play quietly, to he honest. It may take some hands-on time. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• tell him that his bro is sleeping an show him an explain y he needs his sleep. an try an give him quiet toys or bring him outside an have a baby moniter with ya. or try an do it before lunch so they can run an play an get their energy out
    BOOKER123ABC

Answer by BOOKER123ABC at 4:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I agree with momoftaterbug
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 4:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• is there any way to have the baby nap somewhere where he/she can't hear the 3 year old who neither you or anyone else will likely be able to silence?

Not really. The house isn't huge and I'm the only one home during the day.
    hill_star03

Comment by hill_star03 (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2011