how can i help her?

my daughter is really depressed. she is because of her cousins funeral today, and because her and her half sister are like best friends, and she seen her for the first time in 4 months, and now she is really upset because it will be a while befor she sees her again, maybe another 4 months plus. what can i do to help cheer her up?

BIMOM21

Asked by BIMOM21 at 2:21 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The weekend is coming, do something special with her. If you celebrate the holidays, why don't you go Christmas light house hunting like I do with my boys, at night we drive around looking at all the pretty decorated houses. Or, what about bringing her to build a bear. Tell her she can pick out any bear and outfit she wants. Make a day out of it. Go to the mall, walk around, have fun, eat at her favorite restaurant, then go to build a bear or something. How old is she and her half sister? What if you buy your daughter AND her half sister a computer camera so that everynight they can chat with each other and see each other.
    Hartbrayka

Answer by Hartbrayka at 2:40 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• :( i am so sorry! why will be it be so long for her and her half sister to see each other again?

she's in school right? what about setting up a like tea party for the little girls. and that might cheer her up some time with her friends?

MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 2:37 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• because my dd's dads family has nothing to do with her(that includes her real dad, her real dads pparents and everyone else in his family, so she rarely sees her. my daughter starts school monday.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 2:41 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• they are both 5(they are 4 months and 10 days apart)
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 2:43 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• hmm.. like hart said .. take her out and make her feel special like a girls day out! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 2:47 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I think it's okay to feel depressed and sad after a major loss like that. If it went on for to long I would get her a counselor to help her deal with the grief. To help her work through it, would let her know that if she needs to talk about it, that your there for her. Being so young she might have questions about death and what it means and what not, she might be worried that other loved ones are going to die too.
    About not being able to see her best friend, maybe you guys could work out a schedule so they can have more time together, or take her places and help her find some new friends. The coolest thing about being a kid is that all your friends are best friends :)
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:49 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• she is not just her best friend, she is her half sister. i dont know how long it will be before they see eachother again, so i cant do playdates
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 2:54 AM on Dec. 11, 2008