Is yoga safe while pregnant?

momma2hunter

Asked by momma2hunter at 2:34 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Certain moves should be avoided, particularly twisting ones, or any that leave you on your back for prolonged periods of time. If you go to a yoga class or follow a DVD, make sure it's modified for prenatal yoga. My hubby and I teach prenatal and postpartum yoga! PM me if you have any more questions!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:52 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Yes, just listen to your body. If something doesn't feel right, don't do it. I got a couple of GREAT videos when I was pregnant. "Prenatal Yoga with Shiva Rea" and "Pilates during Pregnancy with Niece Pecenka." Or take a prenatal yoga class. Be careful of inverting (ie headstands or downward dog), or twisting. It can be a great way to stay mobile and flexible while pregnant. Just remember that you are more likely to injure yourself because of the relaxin in your body, so again, listen to your body.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:02 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• If you do it with a video, they make versions specifically for pregnancy. I had paid to take a 6 month Yoga course and found out I was pregnant with my daughter 2 months into it and I worried about whether it was safe or not too, but as soon as I told the instructor I was pregnant, she easily modified things for me to where I would be comfortable and safe.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:06 AM on Dec. 11, 2008