Why should faith in a god be debated?

And conversely, if you feel it should not be debated, why not?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think it is a worthy debate when we consider how faith affects populations in general. It is a worthy topic of debate, for example, when we consider the fact that this nation, which was based on secular ideas of democracy, allows its laws to be formed based on religious beliefs rather than reason.  It is then that faith, whether in the Christian god, or any other, is up for debate. When it's no longer a matter of personal beliefs that only affect a single person, but woven into laws that affect everyone, whether or not they share those same beliefs, it is worth debating. Examples of when religion crosses the line would be, among others, Prohibition, forbidding same-sex marriage, and attempts of certain religious groups to have Creationism or ID taught in public schools alongside valid science.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I think debate is good. It can help you dig deeper into your own faith and help others outside your faith find more understanding in it. Questioning is a good thing. Ask questions, seek answers. But I think it's also important when debating religion, that when discussing individual faith, as opposed to doctrine, there is no knowable black and white truth (I mean, of course there is a truth but that it's unknowable and faith isn't based upon truth) so it's more difficult to have solid debate of facts as the facts are ultimately unknowable. But maybe that's the agnostic in me speaking out. I hope what I wrote there makes sense, but it seems redundant.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• There's not much point in debating faith itself, aside from the erroneous belief some have that faith=truth, when in fact faith is the converse of truth, and they cannot exist in the same space. Now, debating the rules with which people armor their faith, tons of debate in there.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• It's not as if we're going to magically change each others neurology and psychology here.

If your intent in debate is to convert people from their belief system to atheism, based on your scientific evidence, you are literally no different than those women who post about how you must convert or go to hell, or say that people who don't raise their kids with religion (and by religion, they mean Christianity) are bad parents. It's not about that, any more than someone can convince you not to love your child, based on their list of evidence of all the bad things they've witnessed your child doing. There's a lot of intelligent discussion to be had (trolls excepted) within the confines of the subject without having to attach an agenda to it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• When religious views bleed into laws, I feel compelled to stand up. ~OP

I do too, but I see it as more religious freedom and freedom as human beings, not god vs. no god, because there are many people (myself included) who do believe in some kind of God concept who do not want laws made based on Christian doctrine and who do not want Christian creationism taught in school. I do believe in a "god" but I believe everyone should be free to live their life how they want and I think science should be taught in science class and religion should be taught at home, church(whatever religious building) and religious classes, not science class. It has nothing to do with whether god is real or not.

Cestlavie4

Answer by Cestlavie4 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I personally don't believe it should. I say let everyone believe what they'd like. If it makes someone happy to believe (or not), good for them. It's overall pretty pointless too, hence my lack of postings in this section lately (or on CM in general for that matter).
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I say let everyone believe what they'd like

Here's the position I really don't understand - how does discussing something prevent anyone from believing anything?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I prefer other areas of religious debate, because I think neither side can be proven and it just goes round and round. I don't see it as an untouchable topic, I get involved in it from time to time myself, I just think there are other areas of debate that are a little more satisfying (for myself anyway).

Cestlavie4

Answer by Cestlavie4 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I think any issue with different views is often for debate. The question is why would anyone want to debate that? In all honesty, what's the purpose of debating the belief in G-d? I believe in G-d, I honestly couldn't care less in debating whether that's a valid belief or not. If someone disagrees with me, then I'm sure it's simply because their analysis of the evidence has led them to make a different conclusion than mine. I honestly can't see a productive and positive reason to discuss with the opposing view whose position is more "logical" or supported by evidence. IMHO, those who constantly want to debate this really want to find ways to demean and ridicule the opposite side.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Good question! It shouldn't be...which is why I make it a point to never get involved in the religious debate when it comes to questions about faith.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2011