How do you explain to 3 1/2 yo you're pregnant and they're getting a brother/sister?

When should I tell my 3.5 yo dd and how? How did you tell yours and how did they respond? I just found out btw... like this morning.

07lilmama1108

Asked by 07lilmama1108 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have a two year old and I put her baby doll in the basinet and tell her theres going to be a baby. But what she really liked I took her to the ultrasound and before we even said anything she pointed and said baby smiling. she was all excited it was too cute
    apeyhen

Answer by apeyhen at 8:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I'd wait until at least the 2nd trimester, or until you find out the gender. It's hard for toddlers to understand if you tell them so early. Mine is 2.5, and if I ask her if she wants a baby, she says yes. If I ask her where the baby is, she'll tell me "In you belly." Because I already explained it to her. So she doesn't seem to remember or care unless somebody mentions it. I think it'll be easier to understand when my belly really starts to expand. I'm almost 18 weeks now.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 5:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My DD went with me to every Dr. Apt, so she knew and seemed to grasp the concept pretty early. I would buy her a special baby doll that you treat just like a real baby so that she has some understanding of how she'll have to gentle and what Mommy might do with the baby, etc.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 5:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I'd wait until you started to show and then simply tell her you are having a baby and she will be a big sister.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• yeah i told my 2.5 yr old not sure he totally gets it but he points to my belly and says baby
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• congrats first of all!! I was in the same situation we told our daughter she was going to have a brother or sister as soon as we found out cuz we were so excited! Our daughter was a little younger at the time when we told her she was only 2 1/2
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 8:19 AM on Jun. 11, 2011