Girl Scouts

Last week on Wednesday, I sent an e-mail to the person the Girl Scouts website told me to so that I could get the information in what would be needed to get my 5yo involved and what would be expected of me through the year. I received an automatic reply saying she was out of the office until April 11th. Called the office and questioned this since it was June and was told she was out of the office, probably didn't update her auto reply e-mail, and would be in the office the next day.

On Monday morning I receive an e-mail from this GS woman saying that she would like to talk to me and to e-mail her my number. I didn't get home until later in the evening, so around 6-7pm, I sent her my phone number.

On Wednesday evening I received an e-mail from this GS woman saying she's out of the office for the rest of the week and will call me on Monday.

I kind of feel I'm getting the run-around. All I want is information that I can't find online and basically, from what I understand, she will just give me the contact information of the Scout Leader (or whatever she is called) for the troop DD would be with.

Is this normal? Why is this so difficult?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 5:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm sorry you are getting the run around from the council office. Personally, I think if you speak to a volunteer you will get much better information (I say that because I am a volunteer). Ask one of the local leaders for the number of the Service Unit Manager (she's a volunteer too). She is over all of the troops in your area and will be able to get you in contact with a leader for your daughter or information on being a leader if you would like to do that. If you have any questions or need help getting in touch with a local volunteer, message me and I will see what I can find out for you. (c:

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Maybe you could contact another mom whose daughter is in Girl Scouts and get a better number/person to try.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Sounds very disorganized. I would try reaching out to someone else.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 5:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• It's a shame because a big portion of the cookie money these girls work so hard to get goes to the Girl Scout Council to pay their employees. If only they had to work as hard as the girls do.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Your daughter will be a Daisy scout until the end of the first grade year. Does any live person answer the phone when you call? I know that our local office has several people there daily that should be able to help you. I am a troop leader, message me if you would like me to try to help you!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• And not to make excuses for them, but the summer does slow way down as far as troop activity goes so she may really be gone whether on personal time or at council meetings or trips with her own troop, if she has one. Either way, let me know if you want my help!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Im hoping its that shes just really busy and she just hasnt found the time? Otherwise I dont see why she couldnt just send you the information via email. Just send her another email asking her who you should contact to get your dd involved.. and that will either give her the hint that she has to call you and stop giving you the run around, or shell give you a number of someone that can help you.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 7:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• That sucks! I know that they recruit girls as soon as school starts.....that's when your daughter will be able to join anyways. But it sucks to get the run around that way.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• maybe shes on vacation?
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 9:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I would go through one of your daughter's friends moms and see what they say. I dont think it is usually that difficult though.
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 9:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2011