Has anyone seen advertisements for (or tried) the Topstyler? (by Instyler)

I fell asleep on the couch last night and when I woke up at 4:00am there was an infomercial for the Topstyler- a system where you use clips with ceramic inside as the heating tool-you wrap your hair around your finger, clip and wait for it to cool. Thoughts?

The cost is $14.99 to try and then 3 payments of $39.99 and you get 20 clips and accesories.

purplerobin

Asked by purplerobin at 5:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I don't think it's worth it, I need to see the advertisement.
    othella

Answer by othella at 2:07 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Too big of pain in the ass as far as I see to curl your hair. My friend got one those curling iron bushes that is suppose to straighten and smooth your hair ummm yeah we did more damage than good. I think infomercials are like carnivals where they have all sort of trick to pull it off and make it look good without letting you know when you get the product.
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 2:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I think that SOME infomercials are like that-I've never tried the Instyler so I dont have a strong opinion of it one way or the other. Billy Mays sold nothing but junk, however if it hadn't been for the Bare Escentuals infomercial I might not have discovered my favorite foundation!
    purplerobin

Comment by purplerobin (original poster) at 1:12 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I own it and use it almost every day. I take my showers in the evening, and use it on my naturally-dried hair when I wake up (I don't straighten it first like they have it in the commercials). It really works like they show in the infomercials, the only catch is that there is actually quite a large learning curve associated with it. It takes a good amount of experience to get it just right (side note: the clips are hot, and although not as hot as a curling iron, they still will hurt your fingers when you clip over them! Learning to get all of your hair inside the clip without burning yourself is the hard part). The lookbook is worthless, which is my biggest complaint. It really is fast and works well, overall I'd give it a 4 out of 5. If you get great results with hot rollers and can do them quick, stick with those as they are way cheaper and provide pretty much the same result, with even more volume at the roots.
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 11:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2011