Diaper Rash help

Hi. My 9 month old, cloth diapered baby has a diaper rash. This is only the second one she has had since birth. It started off as prickly heat and hos only gotten worse. I am trying everything with no luck. I let her go bare butt as much as possible, and I put diaper rash cream and corn starch on her as much as possible when she is wearing a diaper. I also change her diapers as soon as I realize she poops and pees. She is being a great sport, but it hurts her when I have to clean her. Oh, and I have not changed the washing routine any. Thanks for your help, and I know she thanks you too!!!

krissyvelazquez

Asked by krissyvelazquez at 5:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When cleaning her with wipes splotch at her skin instead of wipe feels a bit better I have found. Simple as it may sound for my daughter when she got a rash sometimes putting on babypowder overnight for a few nights & letting her air out (as your already doing) seemed to work great. I dont usually put babypowder on her ever its just a dry diaper with nothing.

Another thing it could be a yeast infection too. You can get some cream for that which will clear it up in a matter of a night. We have some on hand bc my daughter went through a bout of getting yeast infections for a while. Call your doc if you want to check her for that. Good luck.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• If it is bright red, it may be a yeast. Your doctor can give you a prescription for that or I have heard you can use athletes foot spray. I have always gone with the prescription because it seemed wierd to me to use athletes foot spray on my daughter's diaper area. My daughter is also allergic to something in desitin. The only thing that helps her rash is triple paste. Good luck.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 5:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Desitin Creamy was my life saver. My daughter would get open sores for a diaper rash. I'd slather it on her poor butt liberally and by the next diaper change I'd see an improvement. It's easier to apply than regular Desitin, and has little to no stink like regular Desitin.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Have you tried switching diaper brands? My youngest son kept getting a yeasty diaper rash and it would clear up with meds. As soon as we stopped applying the cream, it would come back. We switched from pampers to huggies and he has not had a problem since. Give that a try but also contact your doctor and ask for their opinion.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• For yeast, you can use OTC clotrimazole (find it in the athlete's foot/jock itch section at the drugstore) twice a day, alternating with hydrocortisone twice a day. Then put diaper rash cream over that when you can't let her go bare-butt. If it's not improving after 48 hours, take her to the doctor.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Skip the corn startch & after she poops, rinse her heiney in the sink with baby wash. Dry her and put on little Desitin or nothing.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Baths with baking soda (enough to make the water cloudy), then aquaphor - much better than any diaper rash cream. And no wipes - washclothes with warm water until it clears up.

Answer by missanc at 8:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Thanks, ladies. Just to let you know, I use cloth diapers with her, and I have been using the Desitin Max. The only other time she had a rash was when she used the hospital diapers, she is allergic to Pampers. I will try the stuff for yeast infection and see how that works. I appreciate this. THANKS!! :)
    krissyvelazquez

Comment by krissyvelazquez (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Have you try triple paste? IT works wonder on rashes and also aquaphor works really well with cuts and burns and rashes. Hope it'll be gone soon :)
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• bordough sp? butt paste from babies r us.. its in a yellow tube.. my daughter just had a horrific diaper rash and it worked within a day or two!
    jenna_rose

Answer by jenna_rose at 11:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2011