Parkinson's disease

Today I took my grandma to the doctor because she was having problems with her hand well now the doctor thinks she may have Parkinsons. Her doctor referred her to a neurologist for a brain scan.
Does anyone have a close family member with this? Can you please tell me about it so I am aware what can/will happen to her. She's 80 years old. THANKS

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Health

• My mother has Parkinson's (amongst other things) She was diagnosed in her early 50's (average age is in the 60's) when she started having a tremor in her right hand. It was originally diagnosed as a 'benign tremor' but since it kept getting worse they did further investigations. Diagnosis is usually based on medical history and a exam of the neurological responses. The scan I assume is to rule out other possibilities. THis is a good site for information.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• on the disease it's self. The disease is a slow onset but it tends to speed up. It frist effects movement causing tremors and 'jerking' moments that can't be controlled. These eventually spread to every part of th body. It effect swallowing and speech in time. There are medications to slow the progress and to make you more comfortable and help you sleep but no cure. Early onset cna be helped with physical therapy. THe wrost part is the mind stays clear. Please read over the site I gave you and don't panic! Parkinsons can easily be misdaignosed! no matter what they decide get a second opinion.
    But_Mommie

• I am in the nursing field and I have worked with people who have dementia, and Parkins. All my prayers for u and your mom.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• All those symposiums sounds like what is happening my grandma :( I know she is depressed and she does have dementia...
    THANKS. I found that website before I posted anything on here. I read it all and just wanted to ask other peoples personal experiences with it.
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2011