How can I treat my toddler's deep chest cold.

My 19 mo has been fighting a cold w/ runny nose for about 1.5 weeks now. The runny nose is gone but now he's got a 'juicy' cough and a fever. We're flying on Monday and I was wondering if I can give him anything besides Tylenol/Motrin to get rid of the cold/cough. The doc says it's viral and wont give him anything.
Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If it's viral there is no cure for the cold just ways to surpress the symtoms. Children's cold medicine is not approved for children this young either. When my daughter has a cold I give her a menthol bath (johnson & johnson sell something) and use Vix baby rub on her chest. You could also get a menthol tablet (down the medicine aisle) and use it your shower sit on the tub and steam her lungs. Good luck I know how hard it is to have a sick baby, especially during the holiday season.
    megkel

Answer by megkel at 8:32 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Keep him hydrated with pedialyte. That will help thin out the muck so it is easier for him to cough it up.
    Keep a humidifer in his room running 24 hours a day. That thins out the muck too.
    Take him into the bath room, close the door, and run the shower on hot while he plays with toys on the floor. The steam will thin out muck too.

Keep an eye on him. If his fever comes back, take him back to the doctor.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 11, 2008