The nurse seemed mad at me that I didnt get an epidural!! Anyone else have a similar experience?

When i went in to have my daughter i told the nurse that i would not be taking an epidural and she scoffed and said we will see and proceded to tell me that they would be in in about an hour to give me pitocin. After telling her umm no u wont she left. Later when i was in the late stage of labor, about 30 or 45 min from giving birth beging to feel the urge to push because she was so low but not dialated enought i was begging my hubby to knock me out. The contractions didnt stop as one was ending i could feel the next begin!! The nurse actually looked at me and said well you got what u wanted in a snide way and walked out. FYI they didnt want to listen when i told them i was uncontrollably pushing, this was beyond the urge to push i was screaming because they told me if i pushed i would rip my cervix. Well my hubby fetched the nurse after i spent 5 minutes or so holding my daughter in and when thye came in she was crowning the doc barley got the gloves on and nothing else. She was actually stuttering um um i need this. and i didnt even tear thank god and no thanks to them. The doc even says well that shows me when they are ready they are ready!!

dStacey

Asked by dStacey at 6:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had a lady tell me thats what i get for having crappy vains... she couldnt get the iv in and kept pooking me and pooking me i was getting pissed.. i reported her once i left
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 6:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I would have reported her and had her never step foot in my room again! OOOOoooo! I would have knocker her out. lol. priorites would have been push baby out. Bop nurse int he head. Hold baby. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• What a bitch for saying that, it just makes her job harder when the mama is screaming and crying and all that, I have yet to have my baby but be sure I will say something if ANY nurse talks to me or treats me like that, I am not one to sit back and let someone be a bitch when its their job to be comforting. Im sorry you experienced that.
    MissyNewMama

Answer by MissyNewMama at 6:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Sorry you had to deal with a rude nurse. I had to deal with a rude/annoying breastfeeding person myself. She was so damn pushy & my daughter wouldnt latch on this women would literally pinch my boob & shove/smother it into my daughters face. We spent 45mins or more while my baby cried unable to latch. I was trying to tell the women something but she wouldnt listen. Once the women left my daughter latched on with what I had wanted to do before so if the women had only listened all would have been good.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I hate nurses like that!! Between pushing epidurals and holding onto the idea that 10 is the magic number, it's really frustrating!! I'm studying to be a midwife, so I see this stuff, too, and it makes me want to shake these nurses. Just give women the opportunity to labor how they choose and to listen to their bodies!!!!! We have instincts for a reason, and we have choices for a reason! Good for you for standing up for yourself against her. I'm glad everything turned out okay!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My first baby they had asked and the doc was very pushy. Finally after 9 hours and only 3 centimeters I caved. My water had broken and I was getting really tired and upset.

with my second, the nurse asked me once and when I declined she said okay, but if you want anything for pain, you will have to ask me, bc I will not ask again. I will respect your choice. I really liked her as a nurse. She never once asked again, but again I caved and wish I didn't b/c 2 hrs after the epi I had him. for delivery I had a different nurse and I kept telling her I feel a lot of pressure and she kept telling me i wasn't ready. Well, she left and when she came back to check me, I was crowning and he literally slipped out and my mom had to yell down the hall that the baby was out and a doctor is needed! We joked that he shouldn't bill us for the delivery b.c he wasn't there!
    canelamami

Answer by canelamami at 6:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I wonder----doesn't anyone at Cafe Mom EVER have a pleasant experience in labor and giving birth? LOL. All I see here are complaints and threats to knock out doctors and nurses. LOL.
    Gee. I had three and I was so busy breathing and getting through each contraction and giving birth I didn't have time to be mad at anyone!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• OMG yes. I originally planned to have a natural birth. So, when I had nurse come in and told me that she will give me an epidural when my contractions are getting stronger. I told her, no and explained her that I didn't want it at all. She looked at me like crazy and said well, I'm pretty sure you will want it soon as your contraction gets stronger. I'm like Hm, no thanks and she assured me again that I will want it. My hubs told her to respect my wishes and no need to push my button like that because seriously I just wanted to slapped her. I felt like she was being little bit of disrespect. I'm pretty sure they have seen a lot pregnant women didn't want it at first and end up wanting it which it annoys them I guess but again, it doesn't mean they needed to pressured us like that or what so ever.

Anyway, I end up had an EMG C-section. I was soooo upset that it had go this way and I had to get an epidural. :(
    breezymommie

Answer by breezymommie at 6:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I have been on both sides of that. I wanted an Epie and the nurses in Germany gave me crap for it and labor went to fast for it to happen and then I didn't want one and the nurse rolled her eyes and gave me crap for it.. can't win!

My favorite is the nurse who told me to push and then left the room!
    Anonymous

• gurl i know extaclty what you went through because i was the same way im so sorry your nurse was so rude to you the only thing i hate bout pregancy is the damn epidural i het it because it hurts so bad and they tell you its just like a penis yea right a penis my ass that shit hurt way worst
    mz_cuellar254

Answer by mz_cuellar254 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2011