Folkish vs Uni

Since some like to complain about how their religion is picked on and it's always about them, thought this would be interesting.

Do you feel the folkish interpretation of Reconstructist Heathenry is valid based on the info in the Eddas and Sagas? Does the Universalist position make more doctrinal sense? When Marby and Kummer were thrown in Dachau and their libraries seized by the Nazis, did that influence impact the folkish interpretation in ways that would not have happened without that influence?

(reminder, that's the word "universalist" as it applies to Reconstructionism, not as it applies to Eclecticism, Christianity or pantheism)

There is a point being made here, though I welcome the discussion with those who I know do understand the question as we've discussed it before.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I wish someone would answer this- not a topic I know a lot about so I would be interested in learning/reading more from others answers-bumped you to see if we can get some action on this one-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Sorry, NP, but I'm admittedly lost. Are there links to enlighten those of us who are unfamiliar with this topic?

Your point might be, though, that most of us are unfamiliar with this topic, which makes it difficult for us to discuss/debate it.  On the other hand, most of us are familiar with the religions of the Abrahamic god because we were most likely raised in one of the faiths and/or are surrounded by them in our daily lives--through family, friends, community, politics and media, which makes it a more natural and frequent topic to debate in this section--which would make those who subscribe to those faiths feel that their choice of religion is being "picked on".  Maybe?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• JS- I thought that too or maybe it was that those that believe ( or were raised in it, even if they do not believe ) in the Abrahamic religions have studied it quite a bit and are able to debate/discuss it- there are many on here that follow the Pagan/Heathen path and have not responded- maybe they are not on tonight-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I would love to learn more about this as well. I am off to google some info:)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Maybe?

Could be. As for the rest, I'm trying to think of one basic source that explains the whole thing without an overload. That's the real problem - there's an entire vocabulary missing for most people unless they've already researched it, so what seems simple to me, is going to be just as bad as the OP for someone unfamiliar. To illustrate that - the question I've posed is about the most basic question in Heathenry - it's the equivalent of Catholicism vs Protestantism, and carries over into every other aspect about the faith one can consider or debate, because the condition of folkish or uni colors the answer.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• the question I've posed is about the most basic question in Heathenry -

So dang it- where are the Heathens tonight? I would even settle for some of the posters that study "all religions".......

I will check back for your link-

My basic belief is that all religions were in some way effected by the Holocaust- at my son's school they had a variety of Holocaust survivors speak- most said it made their faith stronger and that of their children and grandchildren-kept it more intact (stayed conservative or orthodox rather becoming more reformed) and that they felt like keeping traditions alive and marrying another Jew seemed very important to his descendants as opposed to people without a survivor in their family - one said he lost all faith and has never regained it nor has anyone in his family-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• So dang it- where are the Heathens tonight?

What all Heathens? One hasn't posted in about a year (and I miss her!), and another always posted anon, so disappeared when they changed the answers section. If she's still around, she's closeted. There's a group here for us, but it's been inactive as long as I've been here. If you can dig some more up, though, let me know. As referenced in the OP, there's a 50/50 shot we'll get along.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I may be mistaken but I thought I saw several self identify as Pagan/Heathen in a previous post (the / was part of their answer, I thought, not my add on) I will look for that "what is your belief" post to check- maybe some of the posters that study many (and some do say all) will come on and get the conversation going- it is interesting that many claim to study a variety of religions yet this thread is dead- I am admittedly one that knows very little about religions other than who/what I have been exposed to-but I am interested in reading about others experiences-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• OK- running out to the lake where I am not suppose to CM (my husband puts down the blackberry, I log out of CM) I will try to check back on the QT later ;) Hope you get some answers-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• As for links. Here is the problem I'm having.  This is the reading list for the basic education program through The Troth.  Those are all physical books I have in either kindle or paper form at my disposal, and I still don't have every last one, yet.  They're not online, unless you're seeking out illegal copies.

Some info on Marby and Kummer (that's wiki, not much on him in English, if you speak German, you can find more).

This is

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2011