Pregnancy glucose test..

This might be a stupid question, but does anyone know if your chances of failing the glucose test (ie. having gestational diabetes) are related to your weight?

So, if I am overweight, do I have a higher chance of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My understanding is that although being overweight increases your chances, gaining a lot of weight during pregnancy is more of a risk factor than being overweight before pregnancy.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• being overweight can cause it, but typically it's more what you gain during pregnancy that causes it... if you are eatting healthier you most likely won't have it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I am asking because I was overweight prior to getting pregnant, I am 23 weeks and still losing weight (just eating healither than before). I will take the test next week and I'm just wondering if my chances are higher because of my weight (I'm still considered overweight).
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Im 27 weeks and took the test last week and passed. I weighed 122lbs before baby and have gained 18lbs since then. I heard overweight woman are more likely to get it but i havent heard that gaining weight while your pregnant will do it also. I think it depends on if the weight youve added is healthy or unhealthy
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 8:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Hmm.. not sure. I am very overweight, and was for my other two pregnancies as well... I have never failed the GTT!
    MommaRoxanne

Answer by MommaRoxanne at 8:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• You are at a greater risk when overweight.

Do you really want to take this test?
    I don't do it in my pregnancies~ since it's not standard.
    You can opt to work for excellent health & a great diet if you're healthy and doing well.
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:59 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I've gained 100 pounds so far during my pregnancy. I was (By doctors standards) overweight when I got pregnant, even though I just have a certain body type. I was fat...I didn't look fat, I'm just more dense. But i took the glucose test, and my blood sugar is just fine. Everyone is different. Just because you're overweight doesn't mean you'll get it, although you have a higher chance, but even a skinny girl could get it. It just depends.
    monstersmommy20

Answer by monstersmommy20 at 2:54 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I passed mine and I gained 75 lbs during my pregnancy
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 8:55 AM on Jun. 11, 2011