Pushy lactation consultants in the hopital. Turn off? ...

My friend was int he hospital giving birth to her first child. She was rather young at 22 and had decided to try breast feeding. The consultant came in and told her it was time to feed the baby for the first time. She handed her daughter to her and then reached down and grabbed her boob. Granted this is her job. lol. But it startled my then young friend. She slapped her hand and told her not to grab her. the lady tells her I can't help you if I can't touch you and was rather pushy about it so my friend to her never mind I'll figure it out myself and asked her to leave. She ended up formula feeding because she was afraid to even try another consultant base don this one experience. Now when she was older nad hand her second it was better she still refused to see a consultant but she was able to breast feed for 3 months before she got 'stuck' and didn't know how to fix it. With her third she finally being older saw a consultant and was thrilled her DS was breast fed for a full year. DO you think this is a situation that happens often turning young mothers or mothers in general off at the idea before she ever even gets the chance to try? Or was this a fluke thing? (This is not a BF/FF debate all of her kids are healthy this is about the nurse thats it)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I completely failed at breastfeeding in the hospital because the nurses made me so nervous about it. They kept moving the baby into a position that I was uncomfortable with, etc. Once we got home, I succeeded because I could relax.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 6:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• One of the lactation consultants at the hospital where I had my daughter was really young and a know-it-all with no children of her own. She should not have been doing that job. Luckily for me, the other one was really good.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I absolutely HATE the lactation consultants at the hospital. I birthed at three different hospitals and it was the same at all of them. I referred to them in a not so nice term b/c they are super pushy, think they know everything and stop in too many darned times when I want to rest.
    Allylicious

Answer by Allylicious at 6:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• – collapse
    I am kind of surprised at this young girl slapping the hand of the Lactation counselor! WHat was that? SHe was young,but I would never ever slap someone like that! WHat a rude thing to do.
    As far as breastfeeding, all moms- to- be can learn before giving birth about breast feeding of they really want to. Your little friend sounded like an immature chick.Sorry but she was wrong. And I don't think it would turn anyone off to breast feeding.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• My lactation consultant was nothing like that, thankfully. She just explained the basics and observed to make sure everything was going properly. She never touched me or the baby.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 6:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Okay wher I am from slapped her hand means pushed it away and yeah if someone is reaching for something that is very private to me with no warning I will slap it away. Reflex.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I was lucky to have a great lactation consultant at my hospital. I was 23 when I had my first and had no trouble feeding him at all. She stopped in, asked how things were going, offered some tips, and all was fine. Three years later I had my youngest and I could not get him to nurse. I was so upset and frustrated, and the same LC came out to my house and got things figured out. I thought that after breastfeeding one child, the second would be a breeze, but he was totally different. My LC came through and saved us the second time around. I think good LCs are there for support when things are going ok, and there to really help when things aren't. She never grabbed my boob though, LOL.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My lactation consultant was ok but I should have taken more advantage of the service. One thing that still upsets me to this day is the nurse that said "just give the baby a bottle so you can rest" I was tired and there alone (Dh was deployed) and gave the baby some formula which she spit up because i gave her too much at once. I still think this got our BF'ing off on the wrong foot! Stupid nurse. I know better for next time!
    maybaby22

Answer by maybaby22 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I have run into alot of pushy bitchy nurses! They seem to treat young moms like that! They all have bad attitudes! Not the moms the nurses!
    Anonymous

• Yeah no shit id be smacking too that is her body. The lactation consultant should have asked if she can help instead of just reaching down and grabbibng at her. @ Minnie how would you like if someone walked up and grabbed your boobs??? Im sure you wouldnt like it, it doenst make her immature for smacking/pushing the womans hand away. You obviously dont know what your talking about.

...I remember my first OB visit when i was pregnant with my daughter and they doctor tried to stick his finger in my ass...I KICKED HIM IN THE FACE !!! NO JOKE. From there on out i told him if he ever tried to do that again if would be alot harder next time.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2011