My son wont sit on the potty!!

My son is 2 1/2 and i keep trying the potty but he refuses to go. He is in pull ups but he has cloth underwear. No matter what he is wearing or if he goes naked he wont go to the potty. Ive even tried letting him pee outside. He has a little potty a to go potty seat and a on the big potty seat. He is dry all night and during naps and has been since a year old. I have been trying on and off since 18 months thinking his refusal was a sign that he wasnt ready. He poops once or twice a day and pees like 3 or 4 times. I try to keep an eye on the pull up and talk him into going potty but even on the rare times i get him on the potty he doesnt go. Atleast when he was 20 months he would go!! He just pees when my back is turned i cant make him sit there and me sit and stare at the icon on the pull up. Cool alerts dont work and they give him a rash. Heck ive even tried the timer. HELP!!

dStacey

Asked by dStacey at 7:12 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put him back in diapers. He is not ready. Wait 3 months or so and give it another try. In the meantime. Have him watch your husband go. Read lots of books on going potty and get him a potty book. Back off for a while. It will happen 2 and a half is young.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• well he has not been in real diapers since 18months i dont want to go back to diapers he has mastered the pulling them down and is ok at pulling them up. We have an open bathroom policy with him and he has a potty book. Heck what baffles me is that he seemed more ready when he was 18 to 20 months than he is now?? no bad experiences, and he started this before his sister was born not after. I just dont get it.
    dStacey

Comment by dStacey (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I agree to wait some more. Concentrate on the fact that he has to learn when he feels the urge to go and anticipate getting to the potty on time. Each parent can talk about how they feel and know they have to go.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Just wait. My ds was the same way. Wanted to sit on the big boy potty when he was about 2, a few months later, he refused... We stopped bc I was getting so flustered he was able to tell. Now he is the one wanting to use it, tells us when he needs to, and is doing amazing! Let him decide. It really isn't worth the fight...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Just keep him in the pullups and forget about it for awhile, DS was 3 and showed an interest,, 1 weekend, no problem, all done! You might try those ones that signal him when he is wet, but don't worry mamma, no one I know graduates high school not potty trained!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• how can i tell if he knows. when i ask him if he has to go he whines no more like i dont want to go than i dont have to. What body language do i need to watch for. When he is snuggling with me he will get up and leave when he has to poop. He doesnt want to be near me and he hates to be changed. Its not as bad to get him to puul down a wet one as it is to get him to lay down for a poop change. He is my first and i am clueless as far as potty training and my hubby is to b/c his oldest potty trained herself at 2 she asked for panties and never wet them. and he was working when his other one was pt so he doesnt realy remember what his ex didnt or how she reacted. his ex says just keep working with him she is pt her 4th.
    dStacey

Comment by dStacey (original poster) at 7:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Wait until he turns 3 and then try again.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Try stickers an heres an idea dont try to make him sit to pee get a stool an get him to stand on it.. My son is 28 months an potty trained..
    kiki637

Answer by kiki637 at 9:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• MY SON USED TO HAVE A POTTY CHAIR THAT HAD A BUILT ON TRAY WHERE HE COULD EAT AND USED THE BATHROOM AT THE SAME TIME...I WOULDNT LET HIM GET UP TILL HE DID SOMETHING AND I SAT NEXT TO HIM AND I DID IT EVERYDAY TILL HE DID SOMETHING IT TOOK LIKE 6 MONTHS BUT IT WORKED HE WAS 1 1/2 THEN...BUT EVERY CHILD IS DIFF.
    MsDiva41

Answer by MsDiva41 at 11:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• He is starting to recognize his body's signs if he moves away to poop in private. These are signs for you to watch for carefully and sit him on the potty then. You can even say "your body is letting you know you have to poop now, so it's time to sit on the potty" Tell him he can pick a reward (have dollar store items ready). Other than that you can sit him on the potty every 30 - 45 minutes and have rewards ready. If he consistently poops every evening , say between 5 and 8, then take him to the potty every 30 minutes during those hours and sit with him and read, small snack, show rewards. You can also browse through books on toilet training in a good bookstore for potty training techniques. Stay calm and matter of fact. It is simply a skill he has to learn, but his body has to mature to be ready. GL!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 6:32 AM on Jun. 11, 2011