HELP!!! almsost 4 year old won't poop in potty!

PLEASE HELP ME!!! My son turns 4 in a couple weeks and he poops in his pants everyday!!! He wears underwear during day and pullups to bed. He stays dry at night 95% of the time. He pees in potty just fine! He is not scared to sit on potty or anything like that. When we think he needs to go and he sits on toilet he will poop in it but we don't always know when he needs to go. He goes to daycare 5x a week so he is not home with us all the time....

Do I have him run around the house naked this weekend??? When I ask why he pooped in his pants he just says "Because I did". I can't get any kind of reason why. I can't think of what else to do! We have taken toys and tv shows for pooping in his pants. He knows it is wrong and poop goes in the potty. I can't afford to keep buying new underwear because it is too difficult to try to clean them! PLEASE HELP!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• First of all at almost 4 it is still normal for younger kids to act this way.
    There anal mussels are not fully formed yet.
    Second of all it is not his fault.
    They dont know sometimes till it happens.
    And Third,
    Dont punish him with taking away his toys or tv.
    That will only make him keep doing this.
    He dose not know any better. Nor should he just give him some time and slow down.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I've met kids that just don't like sitting on the potty. Does he sit to pee or does he use a stool to stand? It might just be a comfort issue. Does he have any younger siblings ? Sometimes they do it for attention then.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 11:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Elmo's Potty Time. It's on DVD. We have a copy that is passed around the family - works every time. Something about the music and characters they know, makes them pay attention.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:12 AM on Jun. 11, 2011