Summer sleep schedule

my dh and i are having an arguement. maybe you call can help me. My children during the school year go to bed at 8 pm regardless of age. during the summer i have graciously agreed to an 830 bedtime. heres the reason why both of my children have summer activites that require a lot of energy (swim team, library, scouting, and soccer camps all summer library and scouting) they have activities nearly every day and both have practices every day and my dd has double swim practice every day (including friday) her practice starts at eight in the morning and my ds soccer practice/camp starts at 9. I feel like they need a good nights rest to be at their best and my dh thinks they should get to go tobed when ever they want to. I know my children will be difficult whiny and grump if they dont get at least 9 hours of sleep. and with all their activities the need to sleep (and yes my children still have lots of time to play and do nothing during the day). also my dd is working her first summer job as a volunteer at the library as an assistant to the juvenile librarian. so my question is who is right?

elananme

Asked by elananme at 8:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• My kids stay up an extra half hour after their "school" bedtime during the summer. It's much better for them to stay on a semi normal schedule so it's not such a shock to their system when school starts back. And my husband still has to get up and go to work in the morning.

Answer by missanc at 9:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• maybe you should cutt down on all the activities or at leats some of them i figured swimming would make them sleepy it works for mine
    mz_cuellar254

Answer by mz_cuellar254 at 8:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My daughter is a top class competetive swimmer, is a state champion and nationally ranked. so no not cutting out her favorite thing to do on the planet. heres their schedule for their days 8-9a swim practice 9-10 or 9-4 soccer practice/camp, 1-330 every other thursday they have library reading club and every other wednes friday they have scouting activiter and every day 5-7 afternoon swim practice. there is stills lots of time during the day to have fun doing other things.
    elananme

Comment by elananme (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My kids go to bed at the same time year round, expect for major events or holidays. They need their sleep so why do they get to stay up later? Though I do see myself a lot more leinent during the summer.
    YellowBaby

Answer by YellowBaby at 9:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2011