Does this scare you as much as it scares me??? (re: h.s. graduation)

My 10th grader took the high school exit exam. When i was growing up they didnt have these... and I was surprised to find out they take them SO early.  Someone told me it was in case they failed they would have plenty of time to try again.  

But on the other hand that means that if you pass you know all you need to know to qualify for a high school diploma in 10th grade!

Our daughter has always had a difficult time in math.  She has gotten As in EVERY class but math & science... she has gotten straight Cs in those classes... even with year round tutors.  Yet her scores on the exit exam were VERY high.

So what kind of idiots are we turning out that she can PASS an exit exam in 10th grade AND get such high scores when she got Cs in the classes.  This scares the hell out of me that we require SO little of our high school students.  And what the heck is wrong with the kids who are not passing these tests???  How horribly have we failed THOSE kids????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• The exit exams are based on the minimum to graduate. So what if she tests high in tenth grade. I am sure many could pass it with good grades in lower than tenth grade. This should not scare you. Who wants their child to get through high school learning the minimum.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I failed the Math portion the first time around, but passed it the next year with very high scores (the tests are different every year) I failed it the first time by 2 questions and I was horrible in Math. Nothing to do with my aunt (who raised me from 14 on) at all, I just didn't get it reguardless of how much she tried to help me.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I have never heard of this test. We didn't do it when I was in school and they still don't (my sister just graduated a couple years ago and my brother will be a Junior in the fall), but it sounds about the same as the ACT. I know my husband had an awful GPA in high school and he got a higher score then I did on the ACT (only by 1 point) while I graduated in the top 10 of my class. Maybe your daughter is not applying herself as much in her classes?
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I know they are the minimum... what Im saying is shouldnt we require MORE of our high school graduates????
    The minimum is VERY low.

Im not worried about MY child... Im worried about having such low expectations in general.. and what have we done that there are actually kids that can NOT pass such LOW standards?????
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• ILoveCade... these are NOT SATs or ACTs... these are exit exams. (we are in CA) The kids must pass these to graduate h.s.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My state has very high standards and it actually saddens me that the kids can't take more fun classes. I work in education.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Oh I know what you are saying, I understand what they are, I was comparing them to an ACT or SAT. Saying, maybe she is better at testing then actual class, while some people are better at class then testing.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Ah... I get it ILoveCade... gee I wish that was it. In chem she has 100% on all labs and homework... but her tests are bringing her down to a C. Sucks for her.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Testing as a the sole method of determining intelligence is ridiculous, that's the problem. Some kids are flippin' geniuses but do poorly on tests because of anxiety and such. Some kids may be average but test quite high. Too much emphasis is placed on the value of these tests, and tests alone. Also, some people are more verbal, meaning that if you asked the very same questions face-to-face and allowed the individual to answer orally rather than through the written word, they word score much higher (my son is like that). Everyone has different learning styles but schools make no differentiation in that regard. It can be very hit or miss ... for example, when my son had to take the ACT for the first time, he scored extremely high in his worst subject and extremely low in his best subject! Go figure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• It does scare me. Our standards in education continually get "dumbed down" to assure that the vast majority pass & graduate.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 11, 2011