Help potty training a toddler with autism!!!

Does anyone have any ideas to share to help potty train a 3 year old with autism. He hates to even look at his poops, and walks funny after he does poop. Any help much appreciated. Desperate

tkb1922

Asked by tkb1922 at 7:09 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I just finished potty training a four year old with autism. It took almost a year of trial and error but once I got down the "right" system it only took four months. Which you know in autism is GREAT!

First off don't even bother with the poop. Get him comfy with the potty and urinating on it.

I had a picture of a kid sitting on the potty and point to it every time I would say "let's go potty" Then I would give him a dum dum pop every time he would just sit on the potty. The dum dum pop would keep him on the potty for a longer period of time.

I had a basket of busy toys next to the potty to also keep him busy while sitting there.

girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 7:50 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I drew a simple picture of a potty on construction paper and bought small reward stickers. I hung up the picture in the bathroom. If he would happen to urinate in the potty then he would get a reward sticker to place on the picture of the potty and a reward sticker to put on himself. It was a routine.

It was slow going at first but he soon realized that potty is not a bad thing and he realized that urinating in the potty was a good thing.

I would only set him on the potty after finishing a sippy cup at first for the best outcome.

After he became comfy with the potty I would have daddy take him in the bathroom when he had to go poo. My SS would also sit on his own potty at the same time. Daddy would do his business and then show my SS what he did in the toilet. Then daddy got a reward sticker.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 7:53 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• After doing this a handful of times we started placing him on the potty when we caught him in the middle of a poop and he would tolerate it.

This is when things started happening very quickly. He then caught on and now he rarely has an accident, he no longer needs a dum dum pop, he started going on the regular toilet, and no longer needs or wants the reward stickers. He is fully potty trained. GL
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 7:55 AM on Dec. 11, 2008