Were there any books that helped you to understand and better deal with your toddler?

lucimom

Asked by lucimom at 7:14 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I never really read any books. I think I learned more from my mother and other parents. For me I liked know that my child was not the only one doing certain things and talking with parents made that easier for me.

I do know many friends who read "What to expect the toddler years" and they seemed to think it was okay.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:24 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I think any kind of parenting books are a total waste of time; they have too much of a "one-size fits all" mentality. I believe gut instinct and experience and sharing with other moms are the best methods. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I remember having "the toddler book". It along the lines of the baby book. Both by dr sears. I read a lot of books. I probably read 50 while I was pregnant about babies and he is my third! But this toddler book is one I remember and passed onto my sister years ago. I'm gonna have to get another next year.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 10:24 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i call my mother b/c I was a wild toddler or my grandma who kept me gives me good advice. The only advice I can give is LOTS of patience.. and sometimes mine wears very thin!!
    kelsbecca619

Answer by kelsbecca619 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I have read 1-2-3 Magic. The book has lots of great tips and advice. Good Luck, if you find that golden book let me know :)
    spunkymomof3

Answer by spunkymomof3 at 10:32 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• the one that I like because it gave practical advice is old, super old, it's closely titled 'How to talk so kids will listen and how to listen so kids will talk.' The gist of it is to at times mirror between you and child what each wanting. Other than that experience has taught me later instead of sooner to not negotiate with kids while disciplining them over the really important stuff. And know that even if you don't see another parent in your situation while your kids are young, once they reach teens it is great to see parents where I'd been experiencing the same things! Try that book it's insightful but our own morals and experiences through our own lives are really our best teachers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Dec. 11, 2008