Has anyone used the cry-it-out method and it worked?

I am trying to break my baby from sleeping in the bed with me. She is 10 months old now, so she really needs to sleep in her crib. Has anyone tried this and it worked?

EternalDiesirae

Asked by EternalDiesirae at 9:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, but it takes a while, I can recall our dd crying for 15-20 minutes, occasionally longer, the key is knowing that crying won't hurt the baby. If you're concerned leave the door just barely ajar, so you can peek in quietly. I wanted SO bad to console her, but you have to wait it out. It did work with mine, all 4 of them. They will get used to going to sleep in their own bed, it's only a matter of time.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 9:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Nope. We tried. Several times. Not the method for us.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Yep. I never let him cry more than 10 minutes without going in to reassure him. A few days later,he got the idea. Mine was in his crib from birth.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• yes! both of my boys! they did not liked to be rocked to sleep and would fight it! i let them cry it out it was usually 10 min or so for about 3 nights! the main thing is stay consistant with it like do bath bottle bed or bottle bath bed! stay with the same schedule then the baby will grow to know what to expect!
    cortneydmorris

Answer by cortneydmorris at 9:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• yes i did it when she was over a year. i thnk at around 15months old. and it was hard at first but then i just had a routine. bottle, tv or book, an then bed. or bath, bottle, tv or book and then bed. she knew after sesame street it was time for night night. it worked like a charm after the cry it out was over with. she would go right to sleep.i would even put a book in the crib with her and she would babble to herself and then she would be out with in about 5mins.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Yup it worked for me, my brother and some of my friends. I only let my baby cry for 15 min that one time and I was about to go pick him up and while I was going up the stairs he's falling asleep. Ever since then he's very good and doesn't cry as much, now he's 6months when he wakes up at night he stays quiet and looks at the camera light. I don't know maybe just my son he doesn't make a lot of noises when he wakes up now. At the beginning when he's around 3 or 4 months he'll cry and cry when I put him down, but now he's able to fall asleep without even rocking him. You just have to let her get use to it and it's hard to watch her cry it's not for everyone. If she crys more than 10min just go hold her and do the same next night till she get use to it.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• It's worked with my boys. I guess it depends on the baby.

SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 10:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Worked like a charm on my first but not my 2nd. My 2nd learned how to fall asleep on her own from it after several nights but still at 9 months wakes up during the night and won't fall back to sleep without being rocked and/or nursed. I admit that I am significantly more tired with the 2nd and more inclined just to get up with her so that I can sleep (and function the next day). My 1st was sleeping 13 hours by 5 months. Oh, and he knows I love him and am there when he needs me. = )
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 11:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Three children and I've been able to help them learn to fall sleep without walking away to let them cry in the first year. We cosleep for the first 12 months and then we transition to their own bed/crib. I've never had a problem with the the transition, and have never needed to use CIO to do the transition. I used "Good Night Sleep Tight" with my last child, and I'll do so with this one once he's over a year and I feel we need to work on sleep. I don't do sleep training under one.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 11:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Thank you all for the advice, last night she cried for 15mins exact, and then slept in her crib for 12 hours straight. I enjoyed my bed so much, my DH was on the edge! He didn't want to disturb me, I was all over the bed.
    EternalDiesirae

Comment by EternalDiesirae (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Jun. 11, 2011