Teaching preschooler about gender.

My DS is 4 and he is still having difficultly identifying people by the proper gender. He calls everyone girls and when he identifies men/boys as girls he says no they are girls. Every time he misidentifies a man/boy I correct him and tell him that they are a boy. What else can I do to help him straighten out identifying people by the correct gender?

amandajoy21

Asked by amandajoy21 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• maybe he just really likes girls ;)

I know this won't be a popular answer but I would tell my kids what is "typically" boy and girl. Boys have short hair, wear pants and son on. Girls have long hair, wear dresses and so on. Then when the see a girl with short hair or a boy with long hair I explain that they like to wear their hair like that too. But by then they could identify the difference.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• One day, my son came into the bathroom while I was using it. I was getting ready to take a shower. He saw me in my birthday suit. He asked me why I didn't have a winkie like he did. I told him that girls don't have one. That was the end of that conversation.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I mean more like in public. He hasn't really started to notice genitalia differences between boys and girls. Like if we are at the park playing with a group of boys and girls he will say what is that girl doing, in reference to a boy that has short hair and is dressed in similar attire to him.
    amandajoy21

Comment by amandajoy21 (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I hear it's pretty common. My son is over it now (finally!) at Kindergarten age. My daughter uses hair and clothes as a way to tell boys from girls (because she's obsessed with those anyway, sigh). The primary and secondary sexual traits don't come into it much for my kids, because they are with little kids... mostly you can tell by names, clothes, and occasionally interests. Also, though, my son didn't really care about "girl" v "boy" till recently. It really makes no difference in preschool.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• what's the rush? he'll get it in time.
    Anonymous

• He's young, he'll get it straight soon.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:42 AM on Jun. 11, 2011