What do you do when your sister has cancer and she might be dying how do you explain this to lil ones

my 5 yr old is so attatched to my sister but i really dnt knw how to explain to him that his aunt is very sick with cancer and may be dying soon its gonna break his heart i usely tell him they are sleeping we will soon be with them very soon when its our time at first he didnt understand so i would tell him this but now he knows what dealth is bc after all he loss his baby brother when he was 2 yrs old and his baby brother was 1mo and 18 days old how should i tell him or what should i tell him

mz_cuellar254

Asked by mz_cuellar254 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• hugsMy goodness my heart goes out to you for all you've lost, your 2 little boys. As for your sister be honest with him, tell him she is sick (I'm assuming she is going to try treatment) and that she may die. Answer his questions honestly. Encourage him to ask questions and tell you how he feels. That way you can make sure he has a healthy understanding of what's happening and what to expect.

AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• thank you very much 4 your support i really needed it
    mz_cuellar254

Comment by mz_cuellar254 (original poster) at 11:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I don't think death is something to hide from children. It is a natural part of life that we shouldn't fear. My son (4) knows about death and about loss, but in a way that doesn't seem bad. Just tell your son his aunt is very sick and may not be with "us" much longer. But one day, you will all be back together. Appretiate the time that is left and tell him to remember all the fun they had together! Those are the important things in life, all the good times and happy memories :) Good Luck and I am so sorry, it is never easy but kids understand a lot more then we will ever know!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 11:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2011