How long on tummy time?

My DS doesn't like to be on his tummy for long. 5 minutes is pretty much the max before he starts crying to be picked up. How long do your babies like to be on their tummy. BTW DS loves it on his tummy as long as he is laying on me. Put him on a blanket on the floor though and he hates it.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 10:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dd hated tummy time. I put her down as long as she could stand it. Tummy on mommy counts, btw! 2-3 couple times a day then gradually increase the length if possible. My dd hated it so much, she learned to roll from tummy to back real quick but took her forever to roll back to tummy. I wouldn't force it though... they will reach their milestones in due time!
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 10:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I leave my baby girl on her tummy as long as she'll stand it. Most of the time she's over it around 10mins although I've gotten 15mins a few times. One thing I do with her (which I also did with my son) is don't pick her up right away when she starts fussing. I won't let her get to full on crying, but I've noticed that when babies are fussing, they move more. I feel like they're working on their muscles a lot during that time. Plus she rolled over once at 1.5 weeks and again a week later because of me doing this. If I would have picked her up as soon as she started fussing that never would have happened! She's a month old now and is already trying to do the push up position and can hold her head up like no other!
    ours

Answer by ours at 11:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Wyatt can push up and look around for a few minutes. He had great head control at birth! But hasn't rolled over yet. I don't pick him up right away. But I don't let him get too worked up either.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Then that sounds perfect to me. :] I did the same thing with my son and he was right on time with learning to crawl, pulling up, cruising, and walking. That might have just been him, but I feel like us doing tummy time so much helped. My daughter gets tummy time after each feeding during the day which adds up to like 4 times, so about 40mins to an hour a day. I honestly couldn't see fitting in anymore tummy time. Plus I need my time to play with her too! :]
    ours

Answer by ours at 11:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• BOTH of my kids hated tummy time wit ha passion. 5 minutes was their limit as well. On my chest the were good for about 6 minutes. The got to spend a LOT of time sitting in laps, supported just enough to keep them stable.

Sounds tome like you're doing just fine for Tummy Time.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2011