Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should i do?

My soon to be step children have been coming to our house with bruises right above their buttocks more on their back.....they have told everyone it is from falling but when sat down they say it is from their mother....they have also told me some more disturbing stuff and as a step parent I don't want to over step my boundries but I love these kids to death and want to get them outta of the situation if it is that bad.....and suggestions

Answer Question

Asked by luvingmamaof2 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 2 (8 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • Does you husband know? My suggestion is to call CPS - or have your husband do it.

    Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • I agree with previous poster. You and their father need to do what is best to protect the kids.

    Answer by CreativityGirl at 11:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • Yes he knows but he is afraid to call cps because his ex wife has bought her way outta everything and he doesn't want to stir the pot and never get to see his kids again

    Comment by luvingmamaof2 (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • I agree with Dr.Donna.

    Answer by Fantasystar at 11:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • If there is no abuse issues regarding your husband towards his kids, then maybe he could try applying for custody of them if you and him are happy for them to be living with you 24/7

    Answer by CreativityGirl at 11:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • I understand not wanting to over step your boundaries as a SM but, if you think that they are being abused by their BM or anyone else- you have to step in to protect them.. i hope everything turns out o.k.- wishing you lots of luck!


    Answer by daisyb at 11:12 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • We have talked about having thwem 24 7 because we have two other children that we have all the time...we r fine with it and I would be happier with it that way because it is so hard for the kids to come to us and tell us that their mom doesn't spend time with them....and she locks them in their room when they r wth for real they r three and five what is goin through her mind!

    Comment by luvingmamaof2 (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • daisyb made a very good point there. Ok, you may be anxious about overstepping the mark over this but as an important figure in these kids lives, as was said earlier, you should do whatever you can to protect them - not just as a SM but also as a human being. Best of luck.

    Answer by CreativityGirl at 11:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • Make a call to CPS anonymously. As an adult in their life it is your responsability to these children to be concerned with their safety. It is also up to you and your husband to make sure they are safe at all costs. Stirring the pot is a lame excuse to do nothing.

    Answer by bcauseimthemom at 11:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • Your best bet is if they go to school to encourage them to tell a teacher. She HAS to report it. I'm going through a situation and CPS is no help whatsoever. Probably because I am also the SM. If it gets reported from someone who they don't feel has a vested interest in it, they may look into it further. Meantime, document. Take pictures and everytime they tell you something, write it down.

    Answer by attap5 at 11:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.