Has anyone been a surrogate or had their baby carried by a surrogate?

I was asked years ago if I would be a surrogate. At the time I said no. Dh was more against it for somewhat selfish reasons. We only had one baby at the time and wanted to have more, he didn't want something to happen in that pregnancy that would complicate us having anymore kids. I've 4 kids now and would consider carrying someone else's baby when I'm done nursing. I know about the hormones I'd have to take to prepare my body for the pregnancy. I know that I'd prefer to not know the parent's, unless it's one of our sister's who isn't able to carry a baby. I know I would not use one of my eggs or dh's sperm. I think I'd like the parent's of the baby to be involved in the pregnancy. I understand that it is difficult to carry another baby and become attached to a point and feel some loss or pain when the baby is delivered. I'd really like to hear from someone who has been a surrogate or had their baby carried by a surrogate.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My sister was a surrogate 3 times after she had her own 4 kids. She used donor eggs each time. She told me having the parents involved with the pregnancy helped her from getting attached. She had babies that were a different race so that helped too.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I would love to do this for my sister. What an amazing gift to give a couple! I will bump you and hope you get more answers!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I am pregnant with my first right now and I would LOVE to be a surrogate for anyone who needed it! Ive always thought this way.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• no
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:31 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I became pregnant as a surrogate about 5 years ago. It was with my egg and the husband in the couple's sperm. Unfortunately the pregnancy was lost at 11 weeks. Everything went downhill from there. The couple cancelled my insurance before I had the D&C and I was stuck with the $9,000 bill. I moved too fast though. I didn't research nearly enough and went with the very 1st couple I met. Huge mistakes.

I decided to step away from the surrogacy world for a while. A few months after that I met my current husband and we are pregnant with our 3rd. I wanted to be a surrogate because I loved being pregnant and thought I was done after having the 2 kids I had previously. Part of my still wishes I can do it, but the life I have now makes a great substitute.
    Anonymous

• I know I will have a lawyer that specializes in surrogacy, that way both myself and the couple (with their own lawyer) will feel protected.
    AmandaH321

Comment by AmandaH321 (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2011