How can I get my uninterested child excited about going on the potty?

My DD is 2 1/2 we have been trying to get her interested in the potty for more than 6 months. I let her pick out new panties, made a star chart have 2 different kinds of potties, have numerous potty books,the works. She just doesn't want to use it. She says "I am still little" and asks for her diaper when wearing panties and ( I think) needs to pee. Help.

Sarahflagstaff

Asked by Sarahflagstaff at 11:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would cold turkey the diapers/pulls ups and only offer her panties. My daughter was a hard head when I was potty training her and this is the only way that worked for us. It took 3 days and she was 100% potty trained. We did the sticker chart, penny's for the piggy bank for going # 2 ( that was hard for us) and what she loved the most was I would buy her bracelets and if she stayed dry then she earned a bracelet.

Good luck!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 11:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Does she have a friend or cousin that is similar in age that goes on the potty? I let my son see a friend of his go and then asked if he wanted to be a big boy like Lincoln and use the potty. It worked great! Make sure you get super excited if she does it. Maybe even reward her if she just sits on the potty (before bath time maybe). Don't force her or she'll resist more. Good Luck!
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 11:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I USED TO TAKE MY DAUGHTER WITH ME IN THE BATHROOM EVERYTIME I HAD TO GO AND IT ONLY TOOK HER 3 WKS TO LEARN SHE WAS 11 MONTHS AT THE TIME...BUT YOU KNOW EACH CHILD IS DIFF....WHEN SHE WOULD GO AND GET HER OWN DIAPER AND LAY DOWN ON THE FLOOR I KNEW IT WAS TIME
    MsDiva41

Answer by MsDiva41 at 11:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• If she's not interested she's not ready. The more you push it, the more she will resist and the more frustrated YOU will get. I would put it all away and say nothing until she shows interest on her own.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I just answered a similar question on my Facebook Parenting Coach page. Here's the link to that answer. You're not alone!
    http://www.facebook.com/notes/parenting-coach-alison-astair/parent-question-my-daughter-will-be-3-in-august-and-potty-training-has-been-slow/200932789952966
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 7:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2011