WHat do you do when your child lies to you? IE do you have the itouch?No< when in fact he's hidden it from you

ideashare

Asked by ideashare at 11:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I don't let her do anything fun for the day, no play, no treats, nada. My 5 year old has started lying to me and I've also made her write sentences 'I will not lie'. It's not 100% effective, because she still lies, but she hasn't lied about the same thing twice.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Well he'd loose the Itouch he's lied about. No more fun for the day. And depending on how big the lie or if she lied after being caught in the lie, we may spank. Just depends on how severe the lie. IMO a lie is one of the worst things you can do.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• All kids try out lying because sometimes it works - or at least works in the short term. You can't treat it like it is some kind of character flaw because it is a normal part of growing up.

With my son, I've told him that I will discuss whatever the thing he wants with him, but that he has to tell me the truth or I won't be able to trust him and will have to put more restrictions on him to make sure he's safe & that our home/belongings are safe. In this case, I would stay calm (try your hardest) and ask why she took it and why she lied about it. I'm betting it is because she didn't want to get into trouble. Tell her that if she takes it again, she won't be allowed to use it at all for a week.

Kids have so little control over their lives. I think sometimes they lie about things trying to exercise some control.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 10:38 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Should have said as well, lying is NOT OK - no matter why they do it.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• They get grounded for the day, whatever it is they were lying about gets taken away (like the itouch... in our house it's usually the DSs) until I feel like giving it back (it's been over a month since my kids have seen their DSs) and if they continued to try and lie about it, threw a fit or made things worse they'd probably get grounded for another day, possibly grounded to their rooms (there's nothing to do in there especially for my oldest who doesn't play with Barbies any more) only to come out to use the bathroom and eat.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:25 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Lying is not a good quality to have. I teach my daughter that by letting her know lying is bad because when show tells the truth people won't believe her. She has lied to me on occasion and I also have taken her favorite things away from her for a week.
    Cynthia525

Answer by Cynthia525 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Call him out on it and make him accountable
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 10:59 AM on Jun. 12, 2011