What is a low maintain flower that I can plan in my front lawn that looks good but not a lot of work?

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Home & Garden

• It depends on your location and the sun or shade in your yard. Annuals are bright and plentiful. Marigolds, Petunias, Begonias.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Annuals?Perennials? What Zone do you live in? :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Previous owners put Iris's in our front garden area. Not too much work...gotta clean the dead leaves out before new ones spring up, and there's always weeds that will need to be taken care of. But yeah, water if it hasn't rained in a while, and they are gorgeous!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Lilies. They are resilient! My brother has a huge patch in his front yard that he never waters or weeds, and he always takes the lawnmower to them and they still grow and bloom afterwards. If he can't kill them I'm sure they will work great in your yard. Plus they come back every year, so no need to replant.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 11:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• we have day lilies where I rent and the only thing I do is occasionally pick out some overgrown grass growning around them. They are planted in a rocky area and return every year without any watering, etc. We live in Northern Wisconsin where the winters are long and the summers are hot.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• It gets really hot here so certain flowers I can't get to survive to save my life. I have however had pretty good luck with petunias.
    christina259

Answer by christina259 at 11:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• marigolds and mums, they both stink but i haven't killed any yet
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:24 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I don't know where you are , that would help. Are you looking for a blooming shrub that will keep coming back year after year and blooming or just some annuals to plant?
    Here's a link to a plant/blooming shrub that we have called Esperanza (Texas Yellow Bells). It just grows and blooms and we never have to do anything to it hardly at all. You can google it and read about it. We are in zone 9B though.
    Link; http://www.google.com/search?q=images+Texas+yellow+bells&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&prmd=ivnsefd&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=KTIeTpWEIcfFsQKLvMnTCA&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=577
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 8:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Wow , that was a huge link, sorry, LOL.
    We also have Texas "Vitex" Lilacs...they are both shrubs that came from the Texas A&M horticultural program and are known as Texas listed Superstar plants. Pictures in my photos of my front flower bed with both the lilacs and yellow bells in bloom. Other than that...i'm clueless! Good luck though....having flowers in bloom is completely necessary for me ALL the time, lol.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 8:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2011