How can I get eye drops in???

Yesterday my son got sent Home from School with the Pink Eye. Hubby took him in to see his PEDs & she confirmed it. Well we have to put drops in his eye (well both) & he is refusing to let us. Yes I know a almost 2 year isn't going to just let us put drops in his eye, but last night it was just a battle to do it. It took both Hubby & myself to hold him down. I went to CVS & Walmart to see if the had some type of contraption, but they didn't. So if anyone has any ideas on how this process can be a lot easier my ears are opened. Thanks in advance =o)

~*~Holli~*~

MsWood729

Asked by MsWood729 at 8:10 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Lay him down, see if you can anchor his head so he is lying on the back of his head. You don't have to hide that you are going to put the drops in, but you can make it a game. Have your husband shake a toy or make a face or something way to the side so that the child has to roll his eyes sideways to see (without moving his head.) This will let you put the drops in without his looking at them. They should stop the itchiness, you can tell him that too, that the drops will make the eye feel better. Or there is bribery. :)

Answer by Bmat at 8:15 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I would just wait until he is in deep sleep. Then carefully open his eyes and put the drops in. he will probably wake up. But he wont be able to get the drops out. Until his eyes are better i think thats the only way to do it.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:28 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• As a single mother, I've had to give those drops by myself more than once, and this is the best way I have found to do it: Lay the child down so their head is between your thighs. This allows you to use your legs to hold their head still and have both hands free to put the drops in. It also puts you in a position to use your legs to hold their arms down if they tend to try to cover their face. Then, as soon as you are done, you cuddle with them for a minute or two. My kids actually preferred it this way, they got to the point where when I said it was time for drops, they would lay down and put themselves there, even though they really didn't need to anymore. It sounds mean when you read it, but it's not. You don't put any weight on them, or any pressure on their arms, it just doesn't give them room to move.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:30 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Here's what I did with my 14 month old. Hold her down on the changing table or floor. Helps if you have help. Put the drop in the corner of the eye by the nose then hold the head still until they open their eyes. The drops will roll in. IT's a pain, but she would not let me do it any other way!
    Anonymous

• first try to warm the drops by rubbing the bottle with both hands. Tell him to lay down and close eyes and put the drops in the corner of the eye by nose and then tell him to open his eyes and they will fall right in. My dd had quite a few eye infections and i found this method to work the best.
    stephanie546

Answer by stephanie546 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Let him lay down with his eyes closed, not tight just closed, and drop them in the corner of his eyes and tell him to open them. I have to do the same thing for my four year old!!
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 8:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2008