Asking for forgivenss.

So the other day i was at work when i go tinot one ov my favorite topics, religion. i love this topic because people have such strong opinions about it. Well the subject of repenting and asking for forgivness and all came up. One girl said that she believed that she could do whatever she wanted everyday and then ask the lord to forgive and her slate would be clean, and the next day she would do all the same stuff and ask for forgivenss and so on and so forth with no intention of stopping. well i was raised to believe that if you ask for forgiveness you truly have to want to repent and stop the behavoir to be forgiven, for if you have no intention of stopping then you really arent sorry and therefore cannot truly ask for forgivenss. so what is your opinion? do you think that God is ok with you repeating the same sin daily with no intention of stopping and will forgive you regardless, or do you believe that you truly have to repent?

2breath2live

Asked by 2breath2live at 11:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, if the story is true, you have a very immature workmate.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• To be repentive you have to be sorry enough to try to stop. If it's a sin that's become a habit that can be quite hard. The point is what is in your heart. Do you want to try or do you think that you can keep on going as you are without trying? If in our heart we are truly sorry and we fall we can ask forgivenenss for the same thing. If we think that we can do whatever because we will be forgiven, at some point that forgiveness will not come.
    daps

Answer by daps at 4:10 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I don't think its entirely God "forgiving an action". God has to help you find it within yourself to forgive yourself first. After that is done I think he has forgiven us. In my mind, you cannot commit unspeakable crimes and be forgiven just because God says he will or we interpret we have read as that being what he said. That is why there is [the idea of] Hell. If you can work with God to truly forgive yourself, then you are forgiven. i don't know if anyone could ever truly forgive themselves for murder, torture, etc... without working very closely to God through prayer, reflection, etc. There are also smaller offenses that people can perhaps more easily forgive themselves for... I don't know, I am just starting to become more spiritual and still forming my beliefs and understandings of God and my religion.

bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I agree with you. 2Chron7:14 says, "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and TURN FROM THEIR WICKED WAYS; then will I hear from heaven, and will frogive their sin, and will heal their land. God gave 4 conditions for forgiveness: humble yourself, pray and ask for forgiveness, seek Him continually, and turn from sinful behavior. True repentance is more than talk--it is changed behavior. She is neither humbling herself nor turning from her sinful ways. Also, what did Jesus say when he forgave the aldulterous woman? He told her to go and SIN NO MORE. (Jn.8:11) Jesus stands ready to forgive any sin in our life, but confession and repentance means a change of heart.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:59 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Repenting is about examining your life and choices you make.   It only benefits you if your intention is to improve yourself and move in a more loving direction. God isn't fooled so if we aren't serious about making changes and trying to do better I don't think repenting has any meaning, it's just lying.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:00 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Well ladies i appreciate the replies. this is something i have been wanting to ask and yes it is a true story. thank you all for participating.
    2breath2live

Comment by 2breath2live (original poster) at 9:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I was raised that you had to truly want to change and were truly sorry and if that was the case than you were truly forgiven and the slate wiped clean and all that. However, I know many who think they can do and do and then ask for forgiveness on deaths door and still get in.

I think that kind of attitude is wrong because being sorry and being forgiven is about recognizing you screwed up and you recognize how bad it is and you want to change and you do. You make things right and dont do again, period...end of story!

My belief is the same still but my belief is not to make it right with God and those affected(which can include ourselves)but just for those affected. I dont believe, anymore, that God/Universe/Divine needs to forgive us and all that.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• that is an interesting view you have Amaranth361. why do you no longer believe that God needs to forgive us?
    2breath2live

Comment by 2breath2live (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Because Im no longer Christian therefore I do not believe God needs to forgive me in order to get into heaven or the like.

I believe in the Divine(God/Goddess...Universe)but I dont believe they worry about our day to day affairs. Thats our journey to take, not theirs.
    We can ask for strength/guidance and they might help in their own way with that but its up to us to learn and grow to make our own decisions and recognize our own screw ups and make those changes, etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• well i personnally do believe that god needs to forgive us to get into heaven. BUT i do understand where your coming from and it makes sense to me. The way i see it is no one can really know for sure how we do or do not get into heaven because no one has done so and then come back to tell us about it. in the end we will all find out and for all i know i can be COMPLETELY wrong.
    2breath2live

Comment by 2breath2live (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2011