I need discipline ideas for my 8 yr old boy, I have tried everything I can think of. I have spanked him, grounded him, took things away, and even talking and time out. adult content

He yells at me, Deliberatly disobeys me, then tries to make me feel like the bad guy because he is in trouble. Please help

bgwindham

Asked by bgwindham at 11:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Don't fall for the guilt trip he's giving you and stick to your punishments.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• oh I forgot to mention that my 8 year old is about 5 ft tall and weighs 100 lbs so if he decides to sit down where ever he is throwing a fit I cant move him.
    bgwindham

Comment by bgwindham (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I've found that the best way to curb undesireable behavior in my kids is to get to the root of it. USUALLY when my daughter acts out it's because she doesn't feel like she's getting enough attention. I give her more time and she's a different kid.

I also am a very inconsistent parent, and that = behavior problems for my kids as well. When I am more consistent she is more obedient. If I say stop doing that and then let her do it 20 more times, it's MY fault when she won't listen to me when I tell her to stop climbing on something an hour later, you know?

I hope this helps, I feel your pain!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I would call SUPER NANNY...
    Yogi31

Answer by Yogi31 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Quit feeding into it. Lay down the law and walk away. Shut yourself in the bathroom if you have to, but make yourself unavailable to whining, tantruming, bargaining and general snit fitting. Without an audience, he'll stop.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:05 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Lol its not serious enough for super nanny and it isnt all the time. Just enough that it is getting to me. I am a single mom and work 2 jobs I am doin the best I can and dont wanna spend all my time with my 3 children fighting.
    bgwindham

Comment by bgwindham (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• You have to figure out what his "thing" is. My 9 yo doesn't care if she's grounded, what I take away, etc. but recently I had my friends over and she started acting out, talking sassy, etc. After all my friends had left, I made her call each and every one of them and apologize for the way she had acted and that they had to witness that. She was mortified and it has greatly reduced the amount of backtalk I hear from her. When nothing else got to her, THAT did. You just have to keep trying things until you find what works for them. Be creative!

Answer by missanc at 9:39 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• i would put him in to a sport or activity so that he work outs some of his aggression. if possible have at least 1 meal a day with the kids. If he throws a fit then don't accept it if he wants to just sit down some where and pout then let him turn off the tv and don't let anyone play with him until his fit is over then explain why you have the rules you do. encourage good behavior like if one of the kids remembers to put the dish he used in the sink then praise him for it but don't make a big deal of it if the others don't follow suit. if the others think one is getting more attention explain that if they would behave the way they are supposed to then they would get the same attention that the others are getting.
    Jory

Answer by Jory at 10:51 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Kids, while cute (and I swear to you somtimes that is the ONLY thing keeping my kids alive) they are also power hungry, manipulative little beasts. You need some tough love here...and that is the hardest kind to give. Don't fall for the guilt trips period..you are doing right by him to set limits. If you stick with time outs eventually he will get it...or ground him and stick to it..make it hurt (I mean ground him from something he really loves) Keep consistant and he will get it that you mean business. He is at a crucial point, soon he will most likely be bigger than you. And then what? Get him under your thumb now or pay later.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:57 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My boy does the same thing. And spanking is all i have to do but if it gets out of control I take away the WII
    NorthStar115

Answer by NorthStar115 at 10:25 AM on Jun. 16, 2011